HDD install hangs at 1-2 percent of file copying
I have read dozens of posts which have definately helped me get further along. My situation is this:
I have an AcerNote Light Laptop with no CDROM drive. I have copied the Knoppix Dir to a FAT32 Partition, booted from FDD and started knx-hdinstall. The install starts, I select the partitions for Swap, etc.
The file copy process starts, then stops after about 2 mins only at 2 percent each time.
The laptop only has 16MB RAM. That's the only thing I can think of. I am going to up it to 40MB (unfortunately max amount).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-PuTzHeAd-
Re: HDD install hangs at 1-2 percent of file copying
--Make sure you have an active swap partition ' swapon -s '; if not, ' mkswap /dev/hdZ99 ' (replace z99 with whatever drive+partition has the type 82) and then ' swapon /dev/hdZ99 '
--When installing and it stops:
o Boot into non-GUI mode ' knoppix 2 '
o On another virtual console such as alt-F2, start ' nice top -d 10 ' to monitor the install process.
o Switch back to alt-F1 and start knx-hdinstall. If/when it stops, switch back to alt-F2 and see if the screen is still updating every 10 seconds. If it is... Hit Alt-Sysrq-S to "emergency Sync" the pending I/O to all HDs. Hopefully the install will resume copying (this worked on my laptop with Reiserfs.) You may have to do this multiple times, so keep an eye on the install.
--Post back, especially if this works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuTzHeAd
I have read dozens of posts which have definately helped me get further along. My situation is this:
I have an AcerNote Light Laptop with no CDROM drive. I have copied the Knoppix Dir to a FAT32 Partition, booted from FDD and started knx-hdinstall. The install starts, I select the partitions for Swap, etc.
The file copy process starts, then stops after about 2 mins only at 2 percent each time.
The laptop only has 16MB RAM. That's the only thing I can think of. I am going to up it to 40MB (unfortunately max amount).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-PuTzHeAd-