how to run with 32 MB RAM and a HDD
I have been trying to figure out how to get Knoppix 3.1 to run from a CD on a 32 MB machine with a 425 MB hard drive. The drive is formatted for Win95. I've tried all sorts of things and, no matter what I do, I end up with the message:
Sorry, no DOS partition available ....
and then the screen goes black.
Has anyone ever succeeded with this small amount of RAM? How?
Re: how to run with 32 MB RAM and a HDD
Salve!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableready
Has anyone ever succeeded with this small amount of RAM? How?
I found this:
>Knoppix is a free (and "Free" , for those who understand the term)
>Debian-based OS-on-a-CD. This OS runs independently of the hard drive
>(unless the machine has inadequate RAM -- 32MB for non-GUI mode, 96
>for KDE3-mode -- in which case it creates a swap file on the hard >drive)
This means no X-Server and there must be a Fat (vFat) partition.
But my first time I try to use my Toshiba Libretto with only 32MB
RAM, it freeze with a black screen by testing the x-sever
(havn't tested to boot without X)
Anyone who know more about Knoppix with 32 MB, please write in
the docs-wiki (howto or faq) ;)
Greetings
rob
Re: how to run with 32 MB RAM and a HDD
--What boot-prompt options have you tried? (F2 at boot: prompt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableready
I have been trying to figure out how to get Knoppix 3.1 to run from a CD on a 32 MB machine with a 425 MB hard drive. The drive is formatted for Win95. I've tried all sorts of things and, no matter what I do, I end up with the message:
Sorry, no DOS partition available ....
and then the screen goes black.
Has anyone ever succeeded with this small amount of RAM? How?
Off-Subject, But rick... what router software do you use?
Off-Subject, but rickenbacherus, what router software have you been using?
Quote:
I've another IBM 166 w/80M ram to try out but it's my router for now. I need to get a 486.
The P-150 w/ 32MB was my home router I was runnng e-smith 4.01 a gateway/server package I've been running for several years.
rock
GUYS, GUYS - RAM IS CHEAP!!!!
--To everyone reading this thread:
NOBODY should have to run with 32Meg RAM anymore. Unless you're running with ancient 72-pin SIMMS or a non-upgradable laptop, you can go out to Officemax and get 128Meg SDRAM for like $30-40. They even offer a money-back rebate. You can probably find it even cheaper online, but then you have to wait, and pay for shipping.
--My ancient P100 came with 32Meg. My roomie upgraded the mommybopard and chip to P233MMX, and I upgraded it to 164Meg of RAM. It's my server now!
--To quote Nike: Just Do It. Go out and buy the RAM. You won't regret it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMumbles
I have tried several other older computers recently and I am having mixed results getting knoppix to run from cd, on a Gateway2000 PII-266 w/ 80MB of RAM, it get to the point where it says OK booting kernel and hangs there indefinately. Strange thing is, that same computer will run a knoppix hd install that was done on another computer just fine. I should go back and try the failsafe and expert kernels and see what happens.
I tried booting knoppix on a P-150 w/ 32 MB (a 1995 Gateway2000) and it wouldn't run without a hard disk, but once I put in a linux hd with a 128MB swap it booted into kde (very slowly of course).
rock