Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed
As a new Linux users, I would suggest adding these technology into Knoppix. I understand that Linux Gurus out there say learn to do it yourself - - etc... But to make Knoppix truly Linux friendly, I would suggest including these into the package. Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed. Knoppix already rocks - but let me switch completely on my machines. Thanks. :)
Reason for Knoppix success...
Just to emphasize my content and reason for Knoppix's success thus far: Ease of use (CD base option), superb hardware detection (a huge factor), and geeky (chic) :) . The fact that this distro boots and works from CD is cool, but if it never had the factor of excellent hardware detection then it too would be just like the rest of the distro - boring for the avg user. But if Linux is to gain market share on desktops (replace Windows), Knoppix distribution is the type of solution.
The key people is USER FRIENDLINESS - let the geeks modify the code in the background if they wish! Just My POV.
:D
Re: Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindleyrl
As a new Linux users, I would suggest adding these technology into Knoppix. I understand that Linux Gurus out there say learn to do it yourself - - etc... But to make Knoppix truly Linux friendly, I would suggest including these into the package. Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed. Knoppix already rocks - but let me switch completely on my machines. Thanks. :)
Klaus can't include it, but you can install it for yourself also to cdrom and it can then be stored with configuration ... running such a setup since days ... Here is a saml skript that allows installing of flash on demand. I hope it wil be integrated into official distribution soon, already talked to Klaus, but it'll take a while, he has lots of stuff to do ...
#
# Install flash plugin - from website - is kept if configuration is saved!
#
# GPL -
#
# Author: Fabian Franz <[email protected]>
#
cd /tmp
wget http://macromedia.mplug.org/tarball/...6_linux.tar.gz
tar xzf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
cd install_flash_player_6_linux/
mkdir -p /home/knoppix/.netscape/plugins/
mkdir -p /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins/
cp flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so /home/knoppix/.netscape/plugins/
cp flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins/
cd ..
#cleanup
rm -rf install_flash_player_6_linux/
rm -f install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
# scan for new plugins
nspluginscan
Hope that helps!
cu
Fabian
nvidia accelerated drivers
aay, who is this alex person? if he's integrated them into knoppix where can i get a version of knoppix with them?
alsa too ?
Re: nvidia accelerated drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumo
aay, who is this alex person? if he's integrated them into knoppix where can i get a version of knoppix with them?
alsa too ?
Alex (or Alextreeme) is the author of Morphix. You can find his nice work over at http://www.morphix.org
installation of SUN VM on knoppix
I tried to install the VM of SUN but was unsuccesful until:
- deinstall all default running java engines
* "dpkg -l |grep j2" and you get list
* "dpkg --purge [filenames see above]"
- download the SUN VM package "j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin"
- convert to exec "chmod 777 j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin"
* you can copy the file to for example /usr/share/java/
- install "./j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin"
- make symbolic link in the plugin directory:
* cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
* ln -s /usr/share/java/j2re1.4.1_02/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
- Start Mozilla en check "Help" - "About plug-ins"
Re: Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindleyrl
As a new Linux users, I would suggest adding these technology into Knoppix. I understand that Linux Gurus out there say learn to do it yourself - - etc... But to make Knoppix truly Linux friendly, I would suggest including these into the package. Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed. Knoppix already rocks - but let me switch completely on my machines. Thanks. :)
Personally, I absolutely refuse to use anything that isn't open source unless it's unavoidable. I love the fact that I don't get hit with "Oh my god! you don't have a flash plugin-you might not survive another day without one, do you want to install it?"
I wouldn't use Realplayer if it were the last media player on earth- there are such better programs out there. What's more- I don't trust anything with an installer-with an installer how is it any different than M$? I don't want some jerks code on my m=box unless I can read it for myself. I would have thought that after all the spyware apps out there for wimpdoze people would have learned a lesson.
I have yet to say to myself, "Gee I wish I had Quicktime installed."
Of course some people do like that sort of thing- to each his own right?
Just my .03 cents.