I heard of amsn as a clone for messenger...I downloaded from:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl
Is it the right package for my pentium 4 laptop? (First question)
How do I install it? (Second question)
Yes, I am a newbie.... :-)
Printable View
I heard of amsn as a clone for messenger...I downloaded from:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl
Is it the right package for my pentium 4 laptop? (First question)
How do I install it? (Second question)
Yes, I am a newbie.... :-)
Have you tried GAIM which is in Knoppix? Another would be kopete. I've never used amsn, but debian packages install with:
(remove the -s for simulation if output looks ok)Code:dselect update
apt-get -s install amsn
This would have downloaded and installed the package in one go.
As you already have the package you can do in the directory it's in:
Code:dpkg -i packagename
I am using gaim...but conflicts with my soundcard I guess....
Thats why I wanted to try amsn...Thanks Markus...I will try it and be back to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
I'd suggest you try Kopete before trying ot install something else. Personally I've been pretty impressed with Kopete (if there was a Windows version, I'd use it!).
Kopete should be in the menu, or you can just type "kopete &" in a console.
HTH
I cant find Kopete in Knoppix 34...can this be possible?
I tried looking around menus but could not find it.
In command line how can I check if kopete is in this distro?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c123
To be honest I haven't even booted up 3.4 yet :DQuote:
Originally Posted by fabiand
To find out if it's installed: COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep kopete
or: apt-cache policy kopete
or as c123 said: kopete &
To find it with apt first do: dselect update and then: apt-cache search kopete
To see info about it: apt-cache show kopete
To see if it would install without problems: apt-get -s install kopete
To install: apt-get install kopete
I got it working!
I never interacted through terminal, but with your advice was very easy....
I just had to install some dependencies.
Really you helped me a lot in this one....
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
You're welcome.
IMHO Linux's power does lie in the console, and a LOT of tasks are faster to do by writing a few commands. That said you could install synaptic if you prefer a gui for managing packages. Again I'm not sure if it's included in 3.4.
what does apt-get update do?
Because I am trying to install the flashplugin for mozilla....and didnt find some files....adviced me to run apt-get update....and now is doing something I dont know....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus
where exactly do you put these commads when your running knoppix off the cd? do you even need themQuote:
Originally Posted by Markus
apt-get update contacts the servers and finds out what files are available to download.
Put the commands into Konsole or whatever command-line interface you wanna use. You can install some packages using live-cd with klik. You can't use apt-get though.
It's doing what? Can you post the output/errors?Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiand
It's better to use dselect update instead of apt-get update while it will update both dselect and apt databases.