Guide to Installing NVIDIA Drivers under 2.6.6
Thanks to the helpful posts of Miilltek, Shah, and Kelmo, I am proud to say that I have successfully installed the NVIDIA drivers under 2.6.6. I am going to quickly put all the instructions and some clarifications so that newbs like me can also make this work.
I will use http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.p...4f7083a3639b31 as the core of this guide. I will just fix up some typos and try to explain what's going on with my limited knowledge of linux.
su
cd /usr/src (you need to start here. I had problems because I started in root)
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...-2.6.6.tar.bz2
cp linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 /usr/src
tar jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (check to see if these files have been put into /usr/src)
rm -f linux
ln -s linux-2.6.6 linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.6 linux/.config
cd linux/include
ln -s asm-i386 asm
cd .. (again, check to see if linux-2.6.6 is in the folder usr)
make oldconfig
patch -p1 <../knoppix-kernel26.patch
cd /usr/bin
rm -f gcc (the kernel image was compiled with gcc-2.95 but symlink is to gcc-3.3)
ln -s gcc-2.95 gcc
cd /usr/src
make (this will compile your kernel, will take sometime to finish- on my 2.4 around 1 hour)
apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-source
tar zxvf nvidia-kernel-source.tar.gz
cd modules/nvidia-kernel
debian/rules KSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.6 KVERS=2.6.6 kdist_image
cd ..
dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-2.6.6_1.0.5336-6_i386.deb
apt-get install nvidia-glx
cd /usr/bin (typo here)
rm -f gcc
ln -s gcc-3.3 gcc
Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :
Drivers Section
Replace "nv" with "nvidia"
Modules Section
Remove or comment out lines including "dri" and "GLCore"
Ensure there is a line with Load "glx"
Hopefully I added just a miniscule amount of polish; I think most people will now be able to use these instructions without having to play around too much/meet troubles.
On a side note, my glxgears fps jumped from 290 to 1560ish... how acceptable is 1560 for a Geforce 2 MX200 PCI 32 MB card?
wouldnt work unles glx was caps
in case anyone else has this issue
read several posts and articles on getting nvidia to work with this kernel
all said use l
load glx
in lower case
only way it would work for me is in upercaes
load GLX
in fact im using lates nvidia
only catch dont seem to see the specific driver for my 5700LE
so im using vanilla but works great anyhow
how i finally got glx to load
in case anyone else has this issue setting up the nvidia driver under 2.6.6
v3.4 5-17 2000
ive read several posts and articles from multiple sources ann all of them said the same thing
load glx
this just wouldnt work for me
so out of the blue i tried
load GLX (note the caps)
and bam it worked
so if you got nvidia loaded but glx dosnt seem to be working try caps
in fact im running 1.0.6106 the lates instead of the 5223 or whatever version is on the posts
ony draw back ive had is dosnt seem to recognize my 5700LE but the vanilla verison seems to work find