starting network at boottime
Hi,
I have a small problem with starting network at boot-time after knoppix-hd-install.
I have added /etc/init.d/networking into the default runlevel, but it is probably not executed as expected.
$ ls /etc/rc5.d/
S02sysklogd S05klogd S10networking S20cupsys S20samba S99kdm
At the boot I get something like:
starting syslog
starting klogd
doing rp_filter... device already configured (?)
starting cupsys
...
But the network is not configured. More precisely it is configured with old (default) IP, etc.
$ ifconfig
shows eth0 is active with default IP
invoking /etc/init.d/networking restart manually solves the problem...
Any idea what is wrong? Why it fails at the first run?
Thanks,
Vasek
disable network connect at startup
Hello, i have a question that seems pretty close to this bunch here. I have a laptop and it has Knoppix 3.4.....I would like to know how to have start up skip detecting the network. I mostly use the computer off-line, but on occasion connect my cable modem to it. I would rather have the option to manually configure network card myself. This is mainly because it slows down the start up waiting for it to run. On my desktop, its not a problem cause i use that on internet alot more than laptop. So what i want to do is have laptop boot, and skip the network detection, and if i want to use internet, i can manually configure the network card from the menu...thanks...bob58
disable network connect at startup
Hello, i have a question that seems pretty close to this bunch here. I have a laptop and it has Knoppix 3.4.....I would like to know how to have start up skip detecting the network. I mostly use the computer off-line, but on occasion connect my cable modem to it. I would rather have the option to manually configure network card myself. This is mainly because it slows down the start up waiting for it to run. On my desktop, its not a problem cause i use that on internet alot more than laptop. So what i want to do is have laptop boot, and skip the network detection, and if i want to use internet, i can manually configure the network card from the menu...thanks...bob58