Recovering data from windows partition
my computer was running with windows xp home edition....when it failed to start up (crashes at start up screen after loading), i tried to reinstall windows. That usually works for me...but this time it told me it couldnt access some files, and could not continue...I herd about knoppix and decided to use it to recover important data. I have the ISO all burned, ive booted it up successfully a few times but i cant find a way to get my old data...I thouhgt i could just send it over my netowkr to my win98 computer...but i cant establish a network...I dont think i can burn my data because i only have 1 cd drive (which is also the burner) and it wont let me open it. I cant even install programs, it doenst know what to open .exes with.
ahhh its really frustrating...any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Re: Recovering data from windows partition
Quote:
Originally Posted by StryDeR
my computer was running with windows xp home edition....when it failed to start up (crashes at start up screen after loading), i tried to reinstall windows. That usually works for me...but this time it told me it couldnt access some files, and could not continue...I herd about knoppix and decided to use it to recover important data. I have the ISO all burned, ive booted it up successfully a few times but i cant find a way to get my old data...I thouhgt i could just send it over my netowkr to my win98 computer...but i cant establish a network...I dont think i can burn my data because i only have 1 cd drive (which is also the burner) and it wont let me open it. I cant even install programs, it doenst know what to open .exes with.
ahhh its really frustrating...any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Sounds like the hardrive is going bad.
What happens when you click the hda1 icon? (if thats not there what is there?)
To get to the other computer if you know the other computers name you can type smb://computer_name
Also you can't install programs as it is a read-only cd.
Wine opens .exe files, though I wouldn't rely on it at all.