STILL TRYING TO GET STREAMING VIDEO WORKING
I'm having NO LUCK trying to get streaming video working. All I want to do is be able to view movie trailers at imdb.com.
I'm using Knoppix 3.4 Live CD with 320 Mb Ram (no HD), and I have tried by installing (via klik) Kaffeine, kplayer, and realplayer 10.
The problem seems to stem from the fact that installing these players doesn't seem to associate the extensions or mime types for the browser, or install the necessary plugins. I have tried konqueror and mozilla, and I've clicked "scan for plugins" after installation and I've also installed all the codecs into the right directory.
But I always get a discouraging error about a missing plugin for an unknown mime type. I know how mime types relate to file extensions and I know where to add them to konqueror or mozilla, but I don't know what all the mime types and extensions are and the error message doesn't give me enough descriptive info to add that mime type/extension.
Windows users don't have to manually associate extensions when they install media players, so how can Linux compete with windows for the desktop if it takes this much more work?
And do I understand correctly that I will need to find browser plugins since they aren't part of the install?
If anybody has had luck getting streaming video to work using kaffeine or kplayer or realplayer (installed from klik using live CD with no HD) can you let me know what else was needed to get it working? (i.e. mime type associations and plugins)
And do I have to use mozilla to get embedded streaming video? I've been using konqueror since its so much faster on slower computers.
Re: STILL TRYING TO GET STREAMING VIDEO WORKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by redss
I'm having NO LUCK trying to get streaming video working. All I want to do is be able to view movie trailers at imdb.com.
I'm using Knoppix 3.4 Live CD with 320 Mb Ram (no HD), and I have tried by installing (via klik) Kaffeine, kplayer, and realplayer 10.
The problem seems to stem from the fact that installing these players doesn't seem to associate the extensions or mime types for the browser, or install the necessary plugins. I have tried konqueror and mozilla, and I've clicked "scan for plugins" after installation and I've also installed all the codecs into the right directory.
But I always get a discouraging error about a missing plugin for an unknown mime type. I know how mime types relate to file extensions and I know where to add them to konqueror or mozilla, but I don't know what all the mime types and extensions are and the error message doesn't give me enough descriptive info to add that mime type/extension.
Windows users don't have to manually associate extensions when they install media players, so how can Linux compete with windows for the desktop if it takes this much more work?
And do I understand correctly that I will need to find browser plugins since they aren't part of the install?
If anybody has had luck getting streaming video to work using kaffeine or kplayer or realplayer (installed from klik using live CD with no HD) can you let me know what else was needed to get it working? (i.e. mime type associations and plugins)
And do I have to use mozilla to get embedded streaming video? I've been using konqueror since its so much faster on slower computers.
I'm having the same problem. I'm using HDinstall but also have tried remastering & 'toHD' install & klik. I'm also trying to use konqueror. When you attempt to install the Mplayer mozilla plugin it also wants to install mozilla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pau1knopp
You may want to specify which type of streaming video you are trying to run .....
All types, especially Realplayer .ram video. Also cannot get Mplayer to play Quicktime .mov files. Also cannot get ANYTHING to play 'streaming'....some play OK but you have to download the file first then play it (this is also an issue trying to play audio files).
Quote:
I much more prefer to run it from the command line when I find the url I am looking for (usually by downloading the .asx file and looking at it through an editor).
This is not really an option. I have kids who want to watch vid clips from kid sites (eg marykateand ashley site) & they are not capable of CLI.
Quote:
for real player streaming video i use the RealPlayer 8 client, but I see there is a RealPlayer 10 client in the klik warehouse.
There is also a linux/realplayer10 package available from realplayer....but I was not able to get it to work. In fact I couldn't get the one from klik to work either.
Any help would be appreciated!!!