I say Knoppix like this: noffix.
Is that how you are supposed to say it?
How do you pronounce it?
Printable View
I say Knoppix like this: noffix.
Is that how you are supposed to say it?
How do you pronounce it?
no pix
or nop ix
naw-pics
k= silent
o= like the o in stop (the two p's following make it that way)
pix= you should be able to figure this one out.
That is the way a person speaking english would pronounce it. That being said if you said it that way in germany you may get funny looks.
We've been through this already.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=22476#22476
jd
Whichever is most comfortable to the speaker is correct.
My preferred pronounciation is:
knoppix noppix
Bjorn Borg be-yorn borg
linux lie-nux
Houston Hyu-ston
Kazaa Kah-zah
Personal preference wins.
i wouldn't even want to know what youd call me. Örjan. that O with the dots over is pronounced about like "i" in bird. that is to a person speaking londoncocney.
So, (not meaning to get too personal), it rhymes with virgin? :oops:
Örjan rime with virgin?? guess so if one is verry generous...
it is said to mean "the forging one", st Örjan is the "saint" of metal-production, as in from ore.
guess that fits some as i am a blacksmith among other things (no blacksmiths do not shoe horses, that is farriers, blacksmiths make hinges, fences, rails, wallhooks, ancors, hammerheads... look here for a little list of projects made by blacksmiths http://anvilfire.com/iForge/index.htm ).
to be more precise the Ö sounds somewhat like that i in bird, the r aswell i guess. jan is like in january in "standard" english...
birdjanuary and remove "r" "d" and "uary"...
I would pronounce it as:
nawp - icks
But have been found to be in error, when pronouncing GNome,
Its not pronounced like those small "elf-like" creatures that populate lawns, but, have found that it is more with a "predominant" Gaaa sound...
Gaaaa - nome ( where "nome" is more pronounced like those elf-like creatures )
Live and learn....
I think this is the same way GNU is pronounced, Gaaaa - new, and not just new...
Ms. Cuddles
Funny, that a thread on something so trivial gets more replies than most posts about a hardware issue.
Well, it makes sense, actually...
Everyone has an oppinion on pronunciation, but, not everyone has the same hardware, nor configured the same way -=- I, for one, will not respond to a "hardware" issue if I am completely clueless on the hardware... If I have "ideas", thats a different story, I may have "educated" input then. :D