Linux may be losing this average Jill
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=59647#59647
To get cable up and running the score:
Windows 98SE - five minutes (includes reboot but not including time to find mobo CD)
Linux - 4 hours, burnt dinner and a pounding headache
I can no longer imagine I am going to be able to network this PC and my other without heavy duty tranquilization. The thought of throwing a router into this mix and another computer with a different nic and a different distro. YIKES. Not to mention I am toying with the idea of wireless so I don't have to fish a wall? I don't think I can do what needs to be done in linux, I have been messing about with linux for quite a few months now but there is no way I think I am going to be able to do this. In my wildest nightmares, how many hours (or days?) will it take me to network?
Re: Linux may be losing this average Jill
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishtya
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59647#59647
To get cable up and running the score:
Windows 98SE - five minutes (includes reboot but not including time to find mobo CD)
Linux - 4 hours, burnt dinner and a pounding headache
I can no longer imagine I am going to be able to network this PC and my other without heavy duty tranquilization. The thought of throwing a router into this mix and another computer with a different nic and a different distro. YIKES. Not to mention I am toying with the idea of wireless so I don't have to fish a wall? I don't think I can do what needs to be done in linux, I have been messing about with linux for quite a few months now but there is no way I think I am going to be able to do this. In my wildest nightmares, how many hours (or days?) will it take me to network?
It appears from your other post that you now have your netcard working (I think). The router should be easy, at least in my case it just worked, I didn't have to set up anything. I don't have wireless, I have seen some posts that indicate it may not be so easy.
Once you have both computers able to internet through the router, networking is a piece of cake. You have to start ssh on both machines (Knoppix->Services->Start SSH services) then just type 'fish://<username or root>@<other machine ip address>' (eg:[email protected]) in konqueror & you should be rewarded with a request for the other computer's password, then be connected to the other machine.
see this post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12327
Unfortunately, you are right about the hours of searching, burnt dinner & headaches. It took me a year to stumble across the 'fish://' solution. Linux (& KDE) really needs better organized and searchable help files.
Windows was not easy either. It took several weeks to get my two computers connected using windows "Direct Cable Connection" & I never did get it working right. The final straw was interference from some file in my over-bloated HP 990C printer driver (40Megs for a printer driver!!) which killed the DCC connection. So score one for Linux.
Re: Linux may be losing this average Jill
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishtya
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=59647#59647
To get cable up and running the score:
Windows 98SE - five minutes (includes reboot but not including time to find mobo CD)
Linux - 4 hours, burnt dinner and a pounding headache
Turn oven down to a lesser temp so it cooks slower and drink a good French wine. :) ok ok......
Quote:
I can no longer imagine I am going to be able to network this PC and my other without heavy duty tranquilization. The thought of throwing a router into this mix and another computer with a different nic and a different distro. YIKES. Not to mention I am toying with the idea of wireless so I don't have to fish a wall? I don't think I can do what needs to be done in linux, I have been messing about with linux for quite a few months now but there is no way I think I am going to be able to do this. In my wildest nightmares, how many hours (or days?) will it take me to network?
Don't fret networking. A router is easy to set up and has absolutely nothing to do with your operating system. Ideally your wireless router will also have RJ45 (wired) ports. ;)
What kind of connection do you have? (A)DSL, Dial-up, Cable, ISDN, Satellite?
Over simplified it's like this; Your Internet connection goes to the router. The router says "hmm, this packets is addressed to computer 192.168.1.100, and this one belongs to 192.blah blah blah......... and that's all it does in regards to routing. Now also there is the hardware firewall where you decide what ports to open and which to close. Ideally your ports will show as "steallthed".
Most routers have a web based interface for configuration. Simply point your browser to the URL provided in the manual. Usually something like: http://192.168.1.1/
K.I.S.S. Don't try to have an instant multi-machine LAN. Connect the router and then connect one machine. Do it with CAT5 cable. Get one box working. Go from there and add another box and then go for the wireless connection on one one machine. (this is addressing the headache issue again). Of course post your questions or problems here. There are lots of networking gurus that frequent this forum.
Linux & wireless. Those silly manufacturers (I'd rather call them something much worse than silly) don't make it easy. Attempts have been made to provide compatibility lists for wireless cards and Linux but........
1) These lists are compiled from emails, posts, etc. from users. I bought a card listed as 'works perfectly out of the box' and it did. Problem was that WEP didn't. Well the poster apparently didn't feel that was an issue. :roll:
2) Blasted manufacturers change chipsets on us all the time. A card model 123.blah might have a Prism2 chip today and an Atheros tomorrow with no model number change. What's more it is often difficult to know which chipset you're buying due to:
a) Mail order
b) Card design (cannot see the chipset)
c) Idiot salesperson.
Watch out for SSF (Short Serial Flash) cards. What's that? The chip has no firmware stored on it. It must be loaded everytime you boot. Sure, that makes for easy firmware upgrades but..... it's more complicated to configure and by no means do they work any better (or easier) than other cards.
Some cards work with Linux by using a 'wrapper' around the windows driver. I.E. driverloader and ndiswrapper. This may be an alternative.
I hear alot of good things about USB wireless.
One of the best resources I've seen for networking is here.
Suggestion:
Take a Knoppix cd (if they'll let you boot it), a Linux laptop or maybe even your own pc to the store to test the wireless card before buying. Maybe you have access to a store with liberal exchange policies.
Fret not, you'll do fine. :) I'll shut up now.......