tried the rest - sticking with the best :)
Debian. My particular flavor, Kanotix sid. Been on a little distro whoring spree and frankly nothing else can touch the apt package install system.
First tried SUSE. Yast, I am sorry is very overrated and like every other downloadable-version of a commercial distro is intent on installing pkgs from cd or forget it. Yes, I got it going but it is still clunky, clumsy, non-intuitive. Apt has it beat hands-down and kpackage leaves Yast in dust.
Now trying Mandrake. Nopers, same deal. First you have the elusive CD4 (which can be remedied) on the downloadable version. It is tied so heavily to CD apron strings for installing it's just annoying as hell. Even the things that come on CD, it felt like I was playing that sequel to Myst (name escapes me) where you are changing CDs every other click or so. And for whatever reason I was stuck in KDE 3.2 land - totally not me.
Haven't tried Fedora yet, have the iso's but if it is as disappointing as the other rpm package distros I don't think it is worth the time for the install. Only plus is that all the redhat experts at work may be able to provide some more help than on my debian based distros. But I manage.
Re: tried the rest - sticking with the best :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishtya
Debian. My particular flavor, Kanotix sid. Been on a little distro whoring spree and frankly nothing else can touch the apt package install system.
First tried SUSE. Yast, I am sorry is very overrated and like every other downloadable-version of a commercial distro is intent on installing pkgs from cd or forget it. Yes, I got it going but it is still clunky, clumsy, non-intuitive. Apt has it beat hands-down and kpackage leaves Yast in dust.
Now trying Mandrake. Nopers, same deal. First you have the elusive CD4 (which can be remedied) on the downloadable version. It is tied so heavily to CD apron strings for installing it's just annoying as hell. Even the things that come on CD, it felt like I was playing that sequel to Myst (name escapes me) where you are changing CDs every other click or so. And for whatever reason I was stuck in KDE 3.2 land - totally not me.
Haven't tried Fedora yet, have the iso's but if it is as disappointing as the other rpm package distros I don't think it is worth the time for the install. Only plus is that all the redhat experts at work may be able to provide some more help than on my debian based distros. But I manage.
much as I agree with the end result I find the reasons wrong...
mostly bad marketing by Mandrake but CD4 contains NOTHING you need. what it dioes have are a few commercial progs (mainly demo's) and pre-made RPMS for NVIDIA/ATI and winmodems... all of which can just be downloaded from a website...
Once it is installed then the first thing to do is delete the CD sources...
and install the urpmi web sources for main/contrib and plf. If you didnt do this then you didnt really try the distro ....
second you need to find www.mandrakeusers.org ... ignore the official mandrake supoprt and try this...
It is much faster to get replies than here and certainly faster than kano's forum if you dont speak German!
On Suse -
Quote:
Apt has it beat hands-down and kpackage leaves Yast in dust.
In other words you didnt try apt4rpm :wink: so once again you missed out... but it is a lot harder to install stuff not on the Cd's and again the support forum is much faster than here tho less fun and a bit stuffy! http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/
In the end I prefer my deb installs and kanotix as a quick installmethod but I love by Gentoo installs and Mandrake is OK if a bit too noobified for me...