Knoppix 3.6 remaster - 2.6 kernel can't find filesystem?
Okay. I've been banging my head against the wall since Friday, trying to figure this out.
Whenever I roll my own 3.6 CD, the 2.4 kernel loads perfectly fine, but the 2.6 kernel drops me out to Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. with no additional errors listed.
I haven't installed any modules or screwed with the kernel in any way.
Heck, I even tried redoing it four seperate times, to make sure I didn't touch the kernel...
Am I missing something obvious? I would really like 2.6 to load properly.
EDIT: Oh, and on a relevant note, the standard KNOPPIX 3.6 CD works perfectly, in either kernel.
EDIT 2: Oh, and by 2.4 kernel works perfectly, I mean it warns that /etc/modules.conf is newer than the 2.4 one, but I know I never edited it. Perhaps apt-get upgrade did? I did turn down the kernel upgrade of 2.4, however...so I'm at a loss.
I think it may be a filesystem-search issue?
I have encountered a similar problem that I think has the same root cause (I'm thinking some phase during the filesystem search/mount stage) with v3.6 (2004-08-16-EN). I have a empty system with 3 partitions (hda1-4, hda2 being a 2GB or so swap partition). I previously booted knoppix with tohd=/dev/hda3|4, but now, when I try to reboot, *even from* the Knoppix CD, I end up with the same error message and get dropped to shell. There's nothing wrong with the CD because I can boot up another machine successfully with it. My original guess was that the script (?) that is responsible for mounting the base knoppix filesystem gets confused upon finding multiple cloop-compressed KNOPPIX filesystems on the hard disk, but of course I could be wrong...
Can't find knoppix filesystem
I have the same problem too with 3.6. I'm not a linux admin so I'm out of my element with this OS.
I haven't tried this CD with another system yet, but my suspicion is with the CDROM. It an IBM BladeCenter which uses a USB CDROM. I have a feeling it is having problems mounting this volume.
I did try booting with "knoppix nodma" with the same result.
I will try the CD in another non-usb cdrom to make sure the cd is not the problem. I was hoping to find an easy answer but I guess I won't be that lucky this time!