Copy to CD running Knoppix from same CD drive
The corrupt machine I want to access has only one CD drive which is a CD-RW. The OS is Win2000. Booting from my Knoppix 3.6 CD, I cannot eject the CD to insert a blank CD. How do I put in a blank CD and copy a file from the "documents and settings" folder to the CD? I am new to Linux so break it down Barney style to me.
Thanks,
Ray
Re: Copy to CD running Knoppix from same CD drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotCoffee
..... Booting from my Knoppix 3.6 CD, I cannot eject the CD to insert a blank CD. How do I put in a blank CD and copy a file from the "documents and settings" folder to the CD? ....
Keeping it simple,............. you don't.
Consider a few alternatives: Writing the files to floppy, writing the files to a USB storage device, transfering them to another computer on the network, even e-mailing them to your 1 gig gmail mail box and fetching them back from another system.
You just might get away with using a smaller Live CD distro like DSL (not sure if DSL has a CD Writer, but there are a number of Live Linux distros under 200 meg, I suspect at least one does), writing it to the first session of a CD but keeping the CD open for more sessions, and then writing the files to a second session. Then again, I really expect that the gods would find some way to punish you if you tried to do this, but it just might work (the proof is left to the student).
Re: Copy to CD running Knoppix from same CD drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotCoffee
The corrupt machine I want to access has only one CD drive which is a CD-RW. The OS is Win2000. Booting from my Knoppix 3.6 CD, I cannot eject the CD to insert a blank CD. How do I put in a blank CD and copy a file from the "documents and settings" folder to the CD? I am new to Linux so break it down Barney style to me.
Thanks,
Ray
If you have 1G of system RAM you can also use the toram cheatcode which will alow you to eject the disc and in turn free up your cdrom drive.