HDD re-install w/ multipartition questions
Ok, its getting close to when I am going to re-install my hard drive install Knoppix, and I have a few questions on "how" this process is going to be done... ( first time for me )
With the "last" hard drive install, I went with a "multi-partitioning" scheme... /hda device contains my Knoppix, which is broken down into the following;
/hda1 - boot, 50 MB
/hda3 - swap, 512 MB
/hda5 - root, 5 GB
/hda6 - /home, 35 GB
Now, the fun part... Getting a new install to "recognize" the "old install"...
My guess is, I need to get the installer setup to understand that the swap is at /hda3, no biggy, I want LILO to know that it should put the boot information into /hda1, the installer should replace what is found in /hda5, and I dont want the installer to mess with what I have in /hda6, but, use that for the /home... I also realize that after the install, I need to setup any users that I already have in the /home location, and ensure that the same UID's are being used in the new install... I, of course, will need to apt-get install all the programs that I had before this install, but the "users" configs for these programs should still be in there respective home locations, waiting for the programs to be installed...
Here is what I've come up with: Boot the new version CD to be installed. Mount my /hda5 partition ( root ) as read-write, and evaporate all files. Unmount /hda5, in preparation of the install. Start the hard drive installer. Check any configurations. Exit installer, and manually change the configuration file to include /hda1 as boot, /hda3 as swap, and /hda5 as root -=- NOW, the first of the questions, do I change the /home partition in the configuration here, at this time, or do I do it at a later time, say, after the install complete? I want to retain my /home intact...
Once all configuration changes have been made, re-start the installer, and verify settings, then fire off the install...
When completed, do I activate the /home then? I know I will need to add my users, not that big a deal, I only have one user, me, and that was setup as the "default" knoppix user, so the UID is the same number, but with my "name" not knoppix. I also need to add one more user, the next UID after the "knoppix" default UID.
Make sure the /home is working, and all users, before proceeding... Then, set up sources.list, setup fstab to include devices and configs I have currently, and lastly - get the "old" programs back - do a apt-get update, and go for the installs.........
This is going to be my first attempt at using this multipartition, and since, before that, the complete home had to be lost and recreated from scratch, this theory was intended to change that... Once I do this, at least once, it will be either noted what needs to be done, or commited to memory, for the next time.
So, thanks to any assistance, ( the install is not planned for at least a month, but, I like to have as much information as I can, beforehand, so "surprises" can be at a minimum :) )
Re: HDD re-install w/ multipartition questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddles
/hda1 - boot, 50 MB
/hda3 - swap, 512 MB
/hda5 - root, 5 GB
/hda6 - /home, 35 GB
Something I never have understood, why separate partitions for boot & root? Why not just a 'normal' install on hda1 or 5 with swap & home as separate partitions.
I do something similar but dual boot:
hda1 windows
hda5 knoppix
hda6 swap
hda7 vfat data
In my case /home is not separate but contains almost nothing, primarily links to hda7. Last couple of reinstalls I have copied most of /home to hda7 then reinstalled then copied it back.