New to Knoppix...have some questions
Ive read the system requirements for Knoppix already, but I dont know what "Intel compatable" means :? srry i am a complete noob
I am currently using a Sony Vaio (PCV-RX752)
-2A GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Process. (dont know if that means anything)
also, i want to make sure that this OS wont damage anything. Cause i heard from some ppl that after using Linux, some parts of their computer were seriously damaged.
ive been wanting to use a different OS other than windows for quite some time now, and when i read an article about linux, i wanted desperately to try it out.
please help me use this OS, ty
( i am trying out this OS, and if it works as a replacement to windows, i'll use it on my laptop that im getting as a present soon)
Re: New to Knoppix...have some questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
Ive read the system requirements for Knoppix already, but I dont know what "Intel compatable" means :? srry i am a complete noob
I am currently using a Sony Vaio (PCV-RX752)
-2A GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Process. (dont know if that means anything)
Any cpu made by Intel is 'Intel compatible'. So are certain cpu's made by AMD, like Athlon, for example. Your Sony Vaio contains an Intel cpu so it is 'intel compatible'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
also, i want to make sure that this OS wont damage anything. Cause i heard from some ppl that after using Linux, some parts of their computer were seriously damaged.
My first install of Linux, using RedHat 5.0 in 1997, was on a brand new Sony Vaio. Not only did it not hurt the Sony, it made it run better! I purchased it brand new on Dec 29th, 1996. Within the next three months I had to reinstall Win95 from scratch 5 TIMES! The box was contantly crashing. I thought it was a piece of trash. After I installed RH as a dual boot and started spending time on the RH side I noticed that the Sony NEVER crashed. In fact, from the end of March till I switched to SUSE 5.3 in September of 1998 I never had a single crash on that Sony while running RH. I realized that it was Windows 95 that was a piece of trash, and that RH was good.
You should know, however, that if you set your Horizontal and Vertical frequency setting of your monitor incorrectly you can risk burning out your monitor. For example, mMy monitor is a MAG 770V. It's HFreq range is 30-70KHz and it's vert freq range is 50-150 Hz. (Note: one is KHz and the other is Hz). If, while setting up your montior it is not among the preidentified monitors and you set the values for these parameters outside the range specificed in your monitor docs you could experience a "smoke test".
If you are not sure what your monitor specs are go to the vendor's site, or do a Google, and look them up. If notihing else there are industry standards that are pretty conservative and usually work on all monitors.
In the list of screen resolutions given by xf86conf they will be marked with an "i". But, usually Knoppix automatically detects and sets the monitor correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver1024
ive been wanting to use a different OS other than windows for quite some time now, and when i read an article about linux, i wanted desperately to try it out.
please help me use this OS, ty
( i am trying out this OS, and if it works as a replacement to windows, i'll use it on my laptop that im getting as a present soon)
When you from boot the Knoppix CD nothing is installed to your HD, nor are any setting changed on your PC. Everything is run in memory and/or from the CDROM.