how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...
Hello, I am trying to install a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve. It seems that this type of file depends on QT, but even after downloading the version that contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviers2002
Hello, I am trying to install
a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but
with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX
says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve.
It seems that this type of file depends on QT,
but even after downloading the version that
contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
What command did you use initially, out of curiosity.
A ".tar.bz2" extension suggests a tar file, thats
been deflated using "bzip2".
It should just be a matter of doing...
] tar -jxf filename.tar.bz2
If it was deflated using "gzip", then you would do,
] tar -zxf filename.tar.bz
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
jm
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmac
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
I usually add the v option. The command would look:
Code:
tar -[z|j]vtf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
BTW, when you save your configuration to a persistent media, it is compressed with the bz2 extension.
--GN
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviers2002
Hello, I am trying to install
a "tar.bz2" archieve. The software is SKYPE, but
with the direction shown on thier website KNOPPIX
says: the file doesn't look like a tar archieve.
It seems that this type of file depends on QT,
but even after downloading the version that
contain it I have the same error? What I have to do?
Thanks.
What command did you use initially, out of curiosity.
A ".tar.bz2" extension suggests a tar file, thats
been deflated using "bzip2".
It should just be a matter of doing...
] tar -jxf filename.tar.bz2
If it was deflated using "gzip", then you would do,
] tar -zxf filename.tar.bz
Doing ...
] tar -[z|j]tf filename.tar.[bz|bz2]
will tabulate the contents. It's handy sometimes
to have a look first.
jm
I have used: ?tar xjvf skype-version.tar.bz2?. Just what the skype web site says. Strange isn't it. It seems that the software needs QT 3.2. I have downloaded even the version that has it... some story.
Re: how to install "tar.bz2" archieve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviers2002
I have used: ?tar xjvf skype-version.tar.bz2?. Just what the skype web site says. Strange isn't it. It seems that the software needs QT 3.2. I have downloaded even the version that has it... some story.
I was planning to try skype today, would you mind posting the URLs from where you downloaded the software? I'll give it a try and let you know how did it go.
I'm using Knoppix 3.6 from a live install on a notebook and a HD install on a desktop.
--GN