Possible to remove spyware Windows registry files w/Knoppix?
Hi all-
What I'm up against is some bad spyware that has defeated all attempts to remove. I see them in the registry but am not allowed access (locked out by the spyware itself).
Can I access & delete them from a Knoppix CD?
System is XP Home/NTFS, 1.8Ghz, 256mb DDR.
It was brought to me by a college girl (what ARE they teaching?)- I have no CD's to reinstall it or I would have done that in the beginning...
Tracy
Re: Spyware removal with Knoppix
Hi Tracy,
I had a similar encounter with my computer. However my problem was not only spyware, but my the boot-sector of my hard-drive was pooched as well. I think your best strategy - and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone in more of the know will let us both know - is to use knoppix to back-up all your documents.
This can be done quite easily, provided you have a CD-burner. Simply go to KDE(the k with gear behind it (right beside the penguin))>Multimedia>K3b on the tool-bar. K3b is a cdrecord front end - just open it and in the bottom click on new Data CD. Your documents will be stored on "likely" hda1 (you may have to mount it first by clicking the hda1 icon on the desktop). Now hda1 will contain what is on you C: drive under XP. To find your My Documents folders go to the folder called <Documents and Settings> and look for your username, with a little bit of searching in that directory, you should be able to find all your important documents. Drag the files or directories from the top pane to the bottom pane. There is a reference meter to ensure you don't over-fill the CD.
If you don't have a CD burner, you may want to transfer the files to a web-based file-storage system i.e. http://www.xdrive.com/
Anyway, to remove the Spyware. I suggest starting XP in safe-mode with Network support. And downloading the following free software for Windows:
Adaware: www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Spybot Search and Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/
Also make sure your Windows is uptodate.
Update them, and run them. I found turning off system restore in Windows is often helpful for removal. You can turn it back on when your finished. Also there maybe some persistent malwares that have to be removed manually, if this is the case, you can usually find full directions using your friendly neighbourhood Google.
If push comes to shove, you can just scrap Windows all together - you know join the rebels in fighting the evil empire. Anyway, If anyone knows of way to do the spybot removal in Knoppix, I for interest sake would be interested.
Cheers and Best of Luck,
BZ
Re: Possible to remove spyware Windows registry files w/Knop
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkmom
What I'm up against is some bad spyware that has defeated all attempts to remove. I see them in the registry but am not allowed access (locked out by the spyware itself).
You might want to give more details about the specific software in question. You're likely to get help for someone who knows about it that way.
Once you know it's there I don't see how spyware would stop you from deleting the spyware files, even if it could stop you from removing the registery entries. Then, after the spyware itself is gone, on the next boot you should have no problem removing the registery entries. There are also programs like Start/Stop and StartUpCop that will let you control which progams start at boot time, even if there is a registery entry to start them.
Try Nordahl's password hack disks
Peter Nordahl has a boot floppy or boot cd using linux which can be used to edit any or all of the registry.
If you know your way through the registry keys, it works quite well.
I locked myself out of a friend's machine while changing the drive letter of the boot drive. I had to change HKML>Software>Microsoft>WindowsNT>CurrentVersion>w inlogon userinit to get back into windows.
The registry editor worked like a charm, just follow the directions.
The link is home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
Fixed (close enough for gov't work)
I was stuck for a while- the spyware removers froze at removing these reg. files (hard freeze until all memory was used up). I couldn't manually get to them- locked out.
I ended up using RegistrarLite to get the permissions set back- & then I was allowed to delete the files/folders.
RegLite allowed me to delete the offending files/folders in the registry & to then get a full scan to complete by the spyware programs- that was a good start.
I did the best I could- though this PC should be running better. It needs a reinstall of XP- but the college girl who owns it has other things on her mind- & I'm not going to waste my breath talking about antivirus/spyware/more RAM...I went over it all one time & left a text doc on the desktop to remind/guide her on how to keep up the maintenance. It's now out of my hands.
Thanks for all of the replies,
Tracy