laptop won't recognize CD
Hi all
I am trying to run Knoppix (3.4 & 3.7) on an old pentium 1 laptop with 40MB RAM. The laptop is sufficiently old that it can only have either the CD drive or the floppy drive in at one time. When I start up the system with the CD in the drive, it just hangs at the point when it should begin to boot Knoppix. My BIOS is set up correctly; I can boot PHLAK without problems and Knoppix STD without too much trouble. Knoppix 3.4 and 3.7, however, won't work at all. What is going on? Any ideas regarding what I should do? Thanks!
R. Daneel Olivaw
Re: laptop won't recognize CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaneel
When I start up the system with the CD in the drive, it just hangs at the point when it should begin to boot Knoppix. ...
First of all, I'm not sure what the point when it should begin to boot Knoppix is . If it's after the Knoppix boot prompt comes up, then I'm guessing that you need to find the right cheat codes. The versions that you mentioned seem to boot very agressively and need cheat codes on many old systems. You might try a copy of 3.1 if you can still find it; it should boot with much less need for cheat codes. To use your current CDs, try combinations of any and all noscsi, acpi=off and nodma, all prefixed with knoppix or knoppix26 (I would start with knoppix rather than knoppix26 for an older system).