Total Newbie ... loves Knoppix!! Help with HDD Install?
Hello all
I am new here. I downloaded and burned the Knoppix CD last night on reccomendation from a friend. I booted it and I simply love it. I have an older system and am wondering how to install it to my hard drive (creating a dual boot with Win 2K) so that I can save things and have it run faster
I know nothing about Linux.
Can anyone help please ?
Thanx in Advance
Re: Total Newbie ... loves Knoppix!! Help with HDD Install?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silicosick
I know nothing about Linux.
Then I suggest you work with knoppix from CD, at least for some time...
I hope you have a FAT32 partition on your HD so you can store the persistant home (don't try with NTFS).
Btw, there is lots of documentation around. Even on this site, hint hint... ;-)
Re: Total Newbie ... loves Knoppix!! Help with HDD Install?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silicosick
am wondering how to install it to my hard drive (creating a dual boot with Win 2K)
First - the standard disclaimer- If you have important data- back it up first!!! ALWAYS make the boot floppy when asked to do so!!!
Nothing could be easier! You can surf the web WHILE YOU INSTALL! - try that with windows. Make sure everything works as you want it before you install. Be aware however that some things can only be changed if you install.
Leave your win2k install as is- it's easier if it is installed first anyway.
To install Knoppix: (yes there are other methods)
open a terminal
sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
and just follow along.
Partitions-When it comes to partitions we could ask every person here about their personal preferences for partitions and you'd never get the same answer twice- it's largely a matter of preference and need.
In your remaining hard drive space you need:
swap partition (twice the size of your ram is a general rule)- optional if you have alot of ram. You may already have a swap partition you can use.
You need a minimum of approx 2500megabytes for Knoppix to install to. More is better for additional apps. you will be using 'cfdisk' for creating/formatting partitions. Create your partitions-
*REMEMBER* If you freak out and think you goofed - don't use the "write" option- just quit cfdisk and you won't change a thing.
Lastly- in cfdisk don't forget to change the type to 82 for Linux swap & 83 for Linux. WRITE THE PARTITION TABLE before you exit cfdisk.
You will come to a file system screen- I prefer ext3.
If you want help with partitioning -post the screen output of
sudo cfdisk /dev/hda (I assume youi have only 1 hard drive) if that doesn't work do:
sudo su cfdisk /dev/hda
Then you answer a few more questions and wait while it installs. If it asks you something that you are unsure of - search, post or whatever it takes. After it finishes you may or may not choose to start certain servers- again - it depends on your own needs.
When it asks "Install LILO to the master boot record?" choose yes. LILO is a boot manager and will give you a screen to select your OS from. If you find your system unbootable after install - post back we'll get you fixed. If the idea of playing with maaster boot records gives you the willies select 'no'- you can use the boot floppy that I know you won't hesitate to make. :D
Knoppix installs in a very short time so if you do mess it up -don't worry, you can always boot the cd and try again right?