Documentation on different distros of Linux
Hi all;
I am new to linux and after looking for a suitable distribution to start learning, I have decided to use knoppix installed in my HD.
Looking at different distributions, I know that the linux kernel is common to everyone, but depending of the distro, I think there are certain
konsole commands that are particular to each version, for example "apt-get" for Debian, "emerge" for Gentoo and so on.
I have a book on Linux and Unix, but is there anywhere specific information about Knoppix (Debian) thant explains well the particularities of these distros???
Thanks all in advance
PD: by the way is it possible when I knew more, to recompile the kernel and programs of knoppix to convert it to my 64 bit (AMD64) platform? (Doesn work well the one in the net)
Best Regards
Last questions... (I think)
Hi again;
I see you know a bit of Spanish, great surprise :D
I hope that the ISO version I have recently downloaded works. I´ve been redirected from the Debian site, and the cd image downloades has the name "arge-i386-1.iso" downloaded from the weekly updated versions. This ones are those that can offer problems??. There are 13 cd´s but I want to install from this one and complete the neede over the net (sounds difficult...)
Questions:
1.- With this CD... Will it be possible to install KDE?? Could you tell me the instructions to type to get a least this feature?
2.- I have a version on Mandrake (10.0) that doesn´t allow me to stablish 1024 / 768 resolution, I suppose that are problems with mi Video Card. Knoppix doesn´t recognize it either but lets me stalish this resolution in my monitor, because sees that it can support it. Can I copy the configuration files of Knoppix to get the same performance in Mandrake? Which files inside the /etc/ directory I must look at?
3.- Anyway, before I´ll try before with Sarge (help please installing... I´m a bit afraid....it´s not so easy as _Mandrake ) :?
To finish I would like to express that it as been very nice to meet you at the forum, good and funny explanations...I would like to keep in contact.
Bye now;
Best regards
Alberto