Re: How to NFS remount /home
Yikes, you're doing this from the livecd?
The way I see it, you have 2 options:
1. Remaster. Change the boot script(s) to mount the /home you want.
2. Mount your NFS /home at a different directory, and just give everybody access to it. Unless you're using custom BASH init scripts (like .profile) this would seem to be the better way to go. And you can always have everyone do ' source /home2/$USER/.profile ' manually if you need to.
Optionally, you can edit /etc/passwd and change the user's home directory (this is how root gets /root, and everybody else gets /home/blah. See ' man 5 passwd '.)
2nd Optionally:
' adduser knoppix2 ' and mount your stuff at /home/knoppix2. Save everything with the "persistent home" script. See if it works at reboot.
If ya can't attack it directly, sometimes ya can get around it. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburnt
I try to remount /home & no go. I tried umount & it says it's busy.
I assume that it has to be mounted right the first time because
after that it's in use & can't be unmounted?
I've read alot & can't see how to remount it to /mnt/hda3/homes.
mtab is where it's mounted, & it's rewrote on boot, can't change it.
Need each client PC to unmount /home/knoppix on the ramdisk, &
nfs mount it on the server to /mnt/hda3/homes/$LOGNAME.
I can get the nfs mount to work, if I could unmount the old /home.
Doesn't have to be that way, just seemed easy.
Full HD had Term. server problems, but KDE login worked.
Poorman works so well just as it is (am I wrong).
It's probably different for each version, mine's Knoppix 3.3.
Good HD space, PCs are dedicated, CD copy's an easy install.
Workspaces can be called anything, $USER would allow users
to access their workspace from any machine with a login.
Many ways to do this, I'm not picky, just need workspacces.
So how to feed clients a modded fstab, or a mount command.
Poormans or full install, the problem's still the same I think.
Server: 900 duron, 160mb ram, 6gb HD, don't think this helps.
If there's anything specific you need to know... ask!
Re: Doesn't have to be that way, just seemed easy.
3.3(!) You're a few versions behind...
You can get the latest ISO (bittorrent) here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
--BTW, my "bigbox" is a 900 Duron, as well. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburnt
Full HD had Term. server problems, but KDE login worked.
Poorman works so well just as it is (am I wrong).
It's probably different for each version, mine's Knoppix 3.3.
Good HD space, PCs are dedicated, CD copy's an easy install.
Workspaces can be called anything, $USER would allow users
to access their workspace from any machine with a login.
Many ways to do this, I'm not picky, just need workspacces.
So how to feed clients a modded fstab, or a mount command.
Poormans or full install, the problem's still the same I think.
Server: 900 duron, 160mb ram, 6gb HD, don't think this helps.
If there's anything specific you need to know... ask!
Re: Now I'm really confused!
--The server, at least, should be installed to HD and have a static IP address. At that point, whether the clients are dynamic or not shouldn't matter, as long as /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny are commented out on server-side. You should however have all potential client IP's listed in /etc/hosts on the server.
--I can assist you with setting up a DHCP server with limited IP Address range; how many computers are you running this setup on?
--AFA copying the HD, in my experience you're better off doing individual installs unless 1) the hardware is EXACTLY the same across all machines, and 2) you really know what you're doing, and what needs to be modified per-machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburnt
Checked clients hostname & username & they're the same
as the servers. That & the fact the clients IP addresses are
dynamic, makes trying to nfs mount anything real tough.
So it's best to do a full HD install, until I understand more.
Can the full HD be copied to another HD, just like the CD?
Fix 3.3, OR get 3.8 ... IF term. serv. works on HD install
HD installed, server comes up, client gets pxe reply, & mounts /cdrom.
Then says cannot NFS mount /KNOPPIX... dropping to limited shell.
I guess if the Knoppix CD were in the drive it might have worked.
Not what's wanted anyway.
It's come back to me now, I've been here before, poormans worked.
3.8 is best no doubt, if I have to fix it also, I may as well begin now.
I have dialup, but have friends with cable, I'll tell you when it's on HD.