Still no luck with sound, thanks for the suggestion
root@box# alsa_init
Preparing modules for alsa...
Building card database..
finished ok, not sure what to do next. Sound icon still has red-no sound icon and no sound programs work.
Perhaps some important details.
When I try the soundcardconfig from the GUI in the Probe results I get:
No PnP or PCI sound cards were found in your system. Please select your
card type from the following list.
When this ancient gateway was a windoz computer I believe that is hard a soundblaster compatable
sound capability, so I choose that one.
I tried using module-assistant.
Following Update Prepare Select and checking ALSA
and then Get Build Install, this resulting in getting and installing alsa-source 1.0.8-7
I get the error message saying I already have a newer version.
Still no luck with sound.
Thanks for response!
Freitag
Thread ended--thanks for all help
I just wanted to end this thread. Thanks for the excellent help and advice.
From reading other forums and their postings I used apt-get to remove two conflicting packages and then
repeated the update / upgrade / install steps using apt-get
excellent installed well so that the Sid system is now running and updating with no conflicts or errors.
The sound issue is still wierd, but not critical. Knoppix hackers--please fix the sound stuff! The video drivers used to be this difficult and odd and now there is no problem at all. Perhaps in the next version of Knoppix sound can be konquered also.
Thanks again,
Cheers,
Freitag :)