Puppy Linux -- A Tiny KNOPPIX?
I found a terrific new Puppy Linux with an ISO of about 60 MB which reminds me of KNOPPIX, except that it is tiny, but functional like KNOPPIX, yet immensely user friendly. Puppy can be found at
http://distrowatch.com/
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distr...ns/puppylinux/
Puppy runs as a live CD, but also runs on flash, on a zip disk, on DOS / MS Windows, on various network emulators, and on the several Linux filesystems available on hard disk. Everything runs in memory, so Puppy is blazingly fast.
USB mouse problems - solved
While I'm not entirely sure why it appears that mouse types with a lot of extra bells & whistles - function keys/buttons, trackballs, etc. have the most problems. Two different, plain two button/scroll wheel type mice that I have tried work. At least I can get in and work with getting Puppy set up now.
Other versions of Puppy Linux
If you go to the website www.puppylinux.org and use the links to the organizations web page and then the Wiki you will find links to many versions of Puppy - I'm currently using the minimalist "Empty Crust Puppy" that comes in at about 30 to 35MB and allows you to pick which applications you want from the pupget and dot pup files without having to deal with a lot of bloat/extras that you don't need or use. I'm also working with the Puppy 2.0 Alpha release that looks like it wil be a real winner despite some early bugs that wil likely be resolved in future releases. Worth your time to check these distros out.