Random CD-boot startup hangs and partition salvation
I've edited this post to better reflect the current state of affairs... The original text is below. You may want to skip to post #2, though!
-----------------------------------------------------
Hi, let me start by saying I'm really sorry, because this is going to be as dumb as you've ever gotten. I know, because I've been looking all over this forum for some guidance, and everyone's higher up the food chain than I...
I am trying to start Knoppix 3.9 on a Pentium 4 with some hard drive partition problems. (All partitions are visible using TestDisk in Windows 2000, but I can't get the partition table / MBR to rebuild correctly, at least not so far... so here I am.)
I've never so much as looked at a Linux screen in my life. So I'm just going to describe what I get, and hopefully someone will be able to drag me up a rung or two...
So I put the ISO CD in my drive, boot successfully, hit RETURN as instructed, much loading and verifying of hardware, one "FATAL" error in the Kernel ("modprobe: could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko : not a directory") twice, but then it carries on, says "Starting X11" I believe is the last bit of text, then I get what I presume is a splash screen, earth + spaceman + what looks like a very large play/RW/FF bar, and a lovely spacevoice tells me that it's "initializing startup sequence".
Sometimes it stops here, sometimes it carries on to a smaller version of that screen on top of it, with a series of icons across the bottom that flash in sequence--I assume this is doing what it says!
But it stops, every time. Right now it's stuck on "Loading the Desktop". It's not what I would call a reproducible error, except in so far as it's an error every time...
Okay, well, naturally, to spite me, that time I got all the way through to a desktop. Looks most enticing! Was even able to hover over a few icons and see what they might one day do for me!
But trying to open a terminal--I'm trying to follow the steps in this thread to rebuild my goods--it just hung.
And on this restart, back to square one...
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll chase links and read volumes, but--this is key--I have to be able to understand what I'm reading. Keep in mind that first sentence ;).
Thanks for your assistance.
Re: "Initiating startup..." and then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphtaco
Hi, let me start by saying I'm really sorry, because this is going to be as dumb as you've ever gotten....
Not even close to as dumb as we've ever gotten.
Sounds like you're not quite booting up. It's likely some hardware issue. Knoppix does a pretty good job of hardware detection, but sometimes it just needs a little help (known as "cheat codes") to get the boot process right on some hardware that it doesn't detect right. At least your system seems to be having no problem booting a CD and you burnt the CD as an image. Assuming that you checked the md5 sum or used Bittorrent to download we can be confident that the download was good. And I'm hoping that you burnt the CD at a slow speed (sometimes high speed burns will cause a problem like you describe, particularly since it always doesn't seem to be stopping in the same place). You might want to follow the documentation link at the top of this page and read the wiki information on cheat codes. I would suggest starting with knoppix acpi=off or knoppix nodma or knoppix noscsi or even knoppix nodma noscsi acpi=off. You might even try booting with the failsafe cheat code and seeing how far into the boot process you get.
Good luck.