Knoppix 4.0 DVD HDD Install issue
Hi Guys,
I am a Linux Beginner and had various installations of knoppix and kanotix on my machine before.
After a while my latest Installation did not work any more so I decided to install Knoppix 4.0 on a new 20GB Hdd.
I made a 18GB Linux and a 2GB Linux swap and Knoppix installs everything without a Problem.
On a reboot from HDD I get this:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting Kernel
and then
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS : Unable to mount roof fs on unknown-block(3,1)
The PC is a Fujitsu 700mHz with 256 MB Ram
Problem "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS" - Eine L
Hallo,
ich relebte auch das Problem "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS" mit KNOPPIX V4.0.2CD,
und eine Loesung gefunden. Habe gerade auch in einer anderen Stelle vorgestellt;
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21272
Einfach den Eintrag " ### isk_size=100000 ...usw." in /boot/grub/menu.lst umschreiben wie folgt:
"ramdisk_size=100000 ...usw."
Mir ist nicht klar, ob dieses "###" absichtlich eingesetzt wurde oder wegen eines Bugs in knoppix-installer.
Jedenfalls hat diese Loesung funktioniert, mindestens bei mir.
Ich hoffe es kann Euch helfen.
Knoppix Hard Disk Install, not plain sailing !
I got my Knoppix 4.0 DVD a couple of days ago. Liked it enough to contemplate a hard-disk install. (That's when my troubles started). Finally got it to work, only after a few attempts. Here are some notes, in case I need to do it again some day.
My hard disk: 80 G Western Digital, already had Windows on it (1st partition, 5G). So I tried to make it dual boot with Knoppix.
Booted up with Knoppix 4.0 DVD. Started a Konsole screen. Launch the hard-disk install with "sudo knx2hd" command.
The script complained about not finding the 8G space required for HD install. I pushed on with the Partition tool to format a 10 GB partition for Knoppix.
After partitioning was done, proceed with Configuration. Select the default Debian method (instead of Knoppix, which I tried a couple of times without success!).
Next step is Start the Installation, which took about an hour to copy all the files from DVD to hard disk.
I chose to write GRUB loader to the MBR in order to dual boot with Windows.
Finally I was able to boot from the hard disk instead of the DVD, but.. surprise, surprise
... I got Debian instead of Knoppix !
(Well , it's the next best thing , isn't it .)
My next task is to figure out how to get my cable internet to work with Debian. I could surf the Internet with Mozilla Firefox when booting from the Knoppix DVD, but not with Debian booting up from hard disk.
Win some , and lose some.
:P
"Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS" with KNOPPIX 5.
Hi,
I just tried my new KNOPPIX 5.0 DVD, and I get the "Kernel Panic" message with any boot option I choose. I'm a newbie with Linux, and I don't know much about editing linux config files. I just wanted to try it as a live DVD, but it didn't work. I tried with boot option, and same thing happened. I also got "ran out of input data -- system halted" for m23 option, and "Invalid or corrupt kernel image" for memtest. I didn't even installed it yet. Could somebody help me with this issue?
Re: "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS" with KNOPPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo8086
I didn't even installed it yet.
You don't install it. It's a Live CD. See answer #2 for more details on this.
Sounds like you either have a bad image or typed in something wrong (more likely the former). testcd is normally the cheat code that is used to test the CD. memtest loads a copy of memtest86 and checks your system memory, but I guess if the disc is really bad then it might not be able to load memtest.