apt-get dist-upgrade wants to remove almost everything KDE
I don't know why, but I periodically have to go through this and it's getting really annoying. I try to do a dist-upgrade and apt-get wants to remove almost everything related to KDE. Howcum? I don't know why. I got past it once by installing things one at a time (based on the Conf line in an apt-get -s dist-upgrade output) and eventually hit enough of them that the rest of the crap passed without being removed. This time I can't get it to work.
Why does this happen? What's the fix? It's a vanilla 3.7 installation.
I'd really like it to work because I currently have the other recurring, annoying problem where KDE ignores my attempts to move or resize windows. Anyone know where that comes from?
I solved a couple by scrutinizing the output from apt-get --fix-broken --no-remove -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes dist-upgrade, but that only took me so far.
Anyway, here is some voluminous output from apt-get --no-remove dist-upgrade:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
ark isdn-config k3blibs kaddressbook kalarm kamera kandy kappfinder karm kasteroids kate kate-plugins katomic kbattleship kcalc kcharselect kcron kdat kde-i18n-cs kde-i18n-da kde-i18n-de kde-i18n-es kde-i18n-fr
kde-i18n-it kde-i18n-ja kde-i18n-nl kde-i18n-pl kde-i18n-ru kde-i18n-tr kde-services-knoppix kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-bin
kdelibs4 kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdevelop3 kdevelop3-data kdevelop3-plugins kdm kfax kfind kfloppy kget
kghostview kgpgcertmanager khelpcenter khexedit kiconedit klaptopdaemon klipper kmahjongg kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmix knode knotes knx-installer kompare konqueror-nsplugins konsole konsolekalendar kontact
kooka korganizer kpackage kpager kpaint kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kppp krdc kreversi krfb ksmserver ksnapshot ksokoban ksplash ksync ksysv kteatime ktimer ktip ktnef ktuberling kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell
kxconfig libarts1 libcvsservice0 libkcal2 libkdeedu1 libkdegames1 libkdenetwork2 libkdepim1 libkgantt0 libkleopatra0a libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1 libkscan1 libksieve0 libopenexr2 libqt3c102-mt
libtag1 lisa secpolicy
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libarts1c2 libbluetooth1 libflac++5 libgnokii2 libopenexr2c2 libqt3-mt libtag1c2
The following packages have been kept back:
cloop-utils frozen-bubble-data kdelibs-data mknbi pppconfig
The following packages will be upgraded:
kismet kphone qt3-dev-tools qtparted scribus
5 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 120 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
E: Packages need to be removed but remove is disabled.
apt-get dist-upgrade wants to remove almost everything KDE
The dist-upgrade problem is affecting lots of us because "the debian team has been compiling the whole backend of kde, kdelibs has just been updated, so most of its backend is done, only the frontend applications are left and can be expected within a few weeks (my best guess). You are advised not to upgrade until this is out as it could possibly break kde. please hold off on upgrades until 3.4 is fully complete."
(from the MEPIS Lovers site)
http://www.mepislovers.org/
Hope you are still here!A little bit of your experience, pls
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers99
You really shouldn't try dist-upgrade on Knoppix. If you proceed, you will almost certainly break stuff big style. See the top of your /etc/apt/sources.list for a safer (no guarantees) way to proceed.
....
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
:lol: Could anybody help? I am not sure where to look for this thing...
:oops: I do upgrade KNOPPIX packages at my persistent home and now find a problem:
Some of these packages come upgraded inside the Knoppix new DVD. But I can't see them since I have the old ones installed.
:?: Through "fingers99" answers, I guess that there should be a way of telling apt-get to consider upgrading from the DVD (apt-cdrom). Or better, telling me what local packages in my persisten home should be upgraded and allow me to erase them in order to be able to use the DVD ones...
Am I right? Have anyone solved this problem?
Could Synaptic help to do this?
:idea: This should be the main problem of using a Live DVD:
Difficulties with dealing with the manually upgraded applications when using a new Knoppix version
Besides this, it is far better than any installed LINUX distribution.
:idea: I feel myself so close to the solution, that I know that sooner or later I am going to find the answer.
But if somebody has solved this before, I would be thankful to listen to it and learn something.
Thank you in advance
Alberto