Knoppix won't boot on my Micron PC
Hello ... maybe you folks can help me out on this one.
I am unable to get Knoppix to boot properly on my PC. During the botup, the Penguin does not appear, and I get a message saying I have passed an invalid mode, and it gives a list of six resolutions ... when I choose one, it will go through the loading process, then when X starts, the screen goes into a weird pattern of colours.
My PC is a Micron PC Millenia ... Intel Pentium III processor ... 734 Mhz, 512 MB ram ... I have had to boot using the acpi=force cheatcode because the BIOS is from 2000. I also have had to use the noscsi cheatcode, because otherwise knoppix hangs while reading the scsi devices. i have also tried using the vga=normal cheatcode, which stops the invalid mode passing ... but the results are no different.
I think the problem may be with my video card ... Device Manager on Windows says that it is a Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller. The video card seems to want to use someting called VESA VGA.
Any ideas? :) Help would be most appreciated.
Re: Knoppix won't boot on my Micron PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpopalooza
I am unable to get Knoppix to boot properly on my PC.
... I think the problem may be with my video card
... Any ideas?
What version of Knoppix are you using? Have you looked at the cheatcodes page, in particular, the Tips&Tricks section?
My guess is that you'll need two cheatcodes: the vga= and the xmodule=. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to determine the appropriate values empirically. For vga=, 0 (zero) will always work, but values in the range of 784-795 may also work. For xmodule=, try "vesa" or "fbdev".
Be sure to let us know what you try and how it goes.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org