Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
I'm very confused by your going back and editing the first post; I have no idea when the timeline was or what the current nature of the problem is as you see it.
Knoppix can burn files to a CD. But there is an issue - Knoppix is on a CD and you need access to the CD when running Knoppix. So for a system with only one CD drive this presents a problem, although it is not a problem if you can boot from one drive and burn to a different one. Otherwise you can use the toram code to load Knoppix into memory if you have enough memory to hold all of the CD. Otherwise you can use the smaller Knoppix based Knoppix STD that I mentioned and still have 650 megs of the CD left to write to, or even use Knoppix STD and the toram code (since Knoppix STD needs far less RAM) and then put as many blank discs as you wish into the burner (one at a time, hopefully).
As I say. If the data is damaged too bad Knoppix may not be able to read the partition. But I really can follow what happened and what you have done to the system since in trying to recover. You seem to be acting quite swiftly in this, where I would prefer to look carefully and act with deliberation. However, as I said, there are other tools out there that may help if it is determined that Knoppix cannot read or repair the partition. Helix is a forensic Live CD with some recovery tools that may or may not help; whithout understanding what has happened to the disk I can't do much to guide you.