Question - Virus Removal from WinXP with Knoppix
So here's the thing, I've gotten F-Prot to scan the hard drive and it found a ton of stuff on my friend's XP box. I've used grep to find the key words: Infection, dropper, & "security risk" and dropped them each into their own little .txt file. Now, other than parsing each file and manually deleting each infected or risky file, is there an easy way to use these files to make a script to automatically delete each file? Bear in mind I've barely gotten my feet wet inasmuch as Knoppix is concerned.
For those that want to know, I'm using the disk that came with "Knoppix Hacks" (O'Reily) and its rather friendly installation of F-Prot. I believe it's based off of 3.4. I'll be using Captive to write to an NTFS file system (yes, I'm aware of the risks...but if you know of something better to use, I'm game).
Thanks in advance,
'Goon
Question - Virus Removal from WinXP with Knoppix
Doesn't F-Prot have an "automatically delete" feature?
I could write and test a script I would be happy with in an hour or so, but, it would be easier to just connect the drive to another windoze box and then do a virus scan from a native ntfs operating system.
Either way, an operating system with "a ton of stuff" is unlikely to be the same after removal if it even boots. Backup any important data and reload.
...it's the principal of the thing tho
Well yes, I could pop, swap and scan but I'd rather not break into 2 boxen when I could just nuke the borked up files while running Knoppix. As for whether F-Prot can auto-fix/delete I can only say, not as I've seen running from the live CD (Knoppix Hacks - remastered by the author Kyle Rankin using Knoppix 3.4 as a base). I mean I could do the whole back it up and reinstall but I would rather do this just to know I can. :wink:
Thank-you though for the response!
'Goon
Re: ...it's the principal of the thing tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGoon
.... I could pop, swap and scan but I'd rather not break into 2 boxen when I could just nuke the borked up files ..... I mean I could do the whole back it up and reinstall but I would rather ......
It has been established over and over again that captive is just not safe. It often destroys the file system in a way that is apparent immidately, but it can also damage the file system in ways that seem to work at first and only take the file system out later after you have done even more work. So even if you could manage to delete the viruses with Knoppix and this technique (and I don't think you can), you would still have to do the whole backup and reinstall if you didn't want something worse happening soon. My advice is to bite the bullet and make a real fix, not try to rig a quick fix that will only get worse later.
Question - Virus Removal from WinXP with Knoppix
In that case, start learning some shell scripting or ... perl. The issue is certainly straightforward and the technique is actually quite simple.
Post back with your results or problems.
NTFS problems are not insurmountable.
Check out the home pages on the NTFS drivers. Their problems tend to be with permissions/ownership of files and allocation of space if writing a new file. With few or hard choices with a Windows system, I would delete files with little anxiety; rewrite deloused files with little anxiety unless they expand radically, which I would view as unlikely, and I would be apprehensive about writing a new file. You can write a backup within KNOPPIX to a USB or firewire drive. If Windows ran afterwards, I would create a proper backup of all data, in case of a crash.
I would view the O/S as suspect, but then it is a Windows system and suspect to begin with. I have a blow it all away and reload about once a year on my machines. It usually involves one intensive session and then a week or so of intermittant tinkering to get everything reloaded and all of the data retrieved from backups i.e. to get everything arranged. I am more conservative with the machine my wife is on, because she doesn't respond well to needing a piece of software reloaded or some data file retrieved from a backup. I keep good backups of that box and pray a lot. It is an older box 1 Ghz with W2K. I have been unsuccessful in persuading her to move to a notebook.