Knoppix Live -> Install / Reccomended disk space
Right now im running windows xp home edition, but after fooling around with linux live cds, I am looking into installing a hard copy of it. My windows system is on a 200gb SATA hdd, and I have another 120gb HDD which is virtually unused. I don't want to dedicate all of the second hard drive to Linux, so how much would you recommend partitioning? Would a 20gb partition be sufficient? Also, if I installed it on a separate partition, would it be safe to write to the NTFS drive? I know there are many problems which may arise from writing from linux to a NTFS drive when working with windows files, is it still risky if I write to a dedicated knoppix partition?
On a second note, I've also been experimenting with Knoppix s-t-d. I knoppix, my ethernet card is automatically detected and I can immediately connect to the internet, however, in s-t-d, my card is not detected. I tried the pppconf utility, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. The drivers on windows are "Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller," so wuold I have to cross my fingers and hope these are included in the std package?
Thanks in advanced,
Austin
Re: Knoppix Live -> Install / Reccomended disk space
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflames989
Also, if I installed it on a separate partition, would it be safe to write to the NTFS drive?
There is no such thing as an NTSF drive, only an NTSF partition. It is not safe to write to a NTSF partition (I doubt it is safe with 5.0.1 either, but Klaus claims "limited" ability to write to NTFS in 5.0.1, I have no idea what that means). It is perfectly safe to write to other partitions on a drive that has a NTFS partition. It is never safe to shrink a partition, and I would certainly not try to shrink a NTFS partition with a Linux tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inflames989
On a second note, I've also been experimenting with Knoppix s-t-d. I knoppix, my ethernet card is automatically detected and I can immediately connect to the internet, however, in s-t-d, my card is not detected. I tried the pppconf utility, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. The drivers on windows are "Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller," so wuold I have to cross my fingers and hope these are included in the std package?
STD lags behind Knoppix and it is understandable that it may not have some of the drivers, particularly for a newer 10/100/1000 NIC (I'm assuming that is what this is from the name, I have not looked it up). Short of remastering, yes, you wait for the Live CD that you are interested in to include the driver.
I would question the wisdom of installing Knoppix (or STD) at all though. See answer #2 and consider installing Debian Etch instead, then installing all of the packages that you want. I expect that Etch will like your NIC just fine.
As to space, it depends on what you are planning to do with the system. 20 gig is a lot for Linux, until you start storing data like video files. I suspect that with an almost empty 120 gig drive I would give Linux a bit more to be on the safe side, 30 to 40 gig. Since Linux can read and write a FAT partition maybe you will want to use whatever is left as a FAT partition that both systems can use and share data between (but remember that FAT partitions can't hold ISOs or other files 4 gig or larger).