List of Successful Laptops
It would be most useful to those of us in the market for a laptop to have a list of machines that people are successfully running Knoppix on.
I now grub V3.2-2003-04-23-en from the HDD of a desktop along with W98. Since all new laptops come with XP, experience with XP is particularly desired.
Re: List of Successful Laptops
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer
Since all new laptops come with XP, experience with XP is particularly desired.
Bah!- Please be advised that you DO NOT have to buy an OS with any computer. If the sales person tells you so then I'd bet that they also think AOL is a great service and is also the OS for Macintosh.
BTW- many new computers ship with Linux on them everyday. I do like the idea of having a list of functioning laptops tho- I'll add the wife's as soon as I can have a look at what it is. Of course we don't tell her that it boots Knoppix like a dream do we? (windows users.........)
Re: List of Successful Laptops
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer
It would be most useful to those of us in the market for a laptop to have a list of machines that people are successfully running Knoppix on.
I've got a fujitsu lifebook P-2120 I like a lot. It's running KNOPPIX v3.2 20030418 installed on the hard drive.
I need to pass the options ide0=ata66 ide1=ata66, but it's well documented on the linux-on-laptops site.
Since the machine has ACPI, you need to recompile a kernel to get battery statistics, and I don't have suspend to disk or suspend to RAM working.
This machine came with Windows XP, and a mini partition magic from fujitsu, so repartitioning is a breeze.
My biggest complaint is that the whiteglass cursor theme is almost invisible. You can use
Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
to change to another cursor theme.
Does anyone know of a simpler way to change the cursor in KNOPPIX?
Successful on Compaq 2105CA
I have run Knoppix on the Compaq 2105CA with some success. If I have a Symobl Spectrum24 WiFi card in it, the boot up stalls out, but other than that this model works fine.