Can't mount NTFS hard drive under 5.0.1
Hi,
I've just done a PMI of 5.0.1, and can't now mount my Windows XP NTFS partitions (I only want read access, which I could do with 4.0.2).
When I click on the drive icon, I get the following error message:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied
fuse_mount failed.
Unmounting /dev/hda5
I'm assuming that fuse is a new package in 5.0.1 - any suggestions as to what I need to do to mount these NTFS partitions?
Thanks,
Mike
Can't mount NTFS hard drive under 5.0.1
This is the entry I created in my fstab:
/dev/hdb5 /media/hdb5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
(obviously change hdb5 to wherever your ntfs partition is)
It seems to work for me. Click on icon = mount ntfs read only. Right-click gives an option to change to read/write mode.
Do let me know if it works for you.
Regards.
Total Newb Needs Your Help
My Windows XP machines crashed and won't boot and so I'm trying to use Knoppix 5.0.1 to salvage some files -(I don't need to write to my hard drive, just want to copy files over). But I'm also having problems mounting my hard drive --I keep getting this error message:
Failed to load $MFT: input/output error
Failed to startup volume: input/output error
Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda1': input/output error
Mount failed
Please check that the device is plugged correctly
I've confirmed that the drive is securely plugged into my motherboard. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Total Newb Needs Your Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Any help is greatly appreciated.
See answers #7 and #5.
Re: Total Newb Needs Your Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
If I understand correctly, answer #7 points to some issue with the subject line. If that's the case, I apologize for the confusion -- I posted under the original post title of "Can't mount NTFS hard drive under 5.0.1" and only added my own subtitle of "Total Newb Needs Your Help" as an addendum.
Answer #5 points me to the Rescue FAQ, which I actually did read already but did not mention that I did so. If it matters, I also read http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/ and http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...obg-SysRecover. They all provided useful information, but unless I completely missed it, none seemed to addressed my specific issue -- a failure to mount my NTFS drive with the specific error messages that I described.
Please let me know if there are other resources I've missed or further information I can provide in order for someone to give me a suggestion on what to do next. Thanks again.
Re: Total Newb Needs Your Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
answer #7 points to some issue with the subject line. If that's the case,
You are correct to an extent; the subject seemed apparent by the main thread topic. That's why I even tried to point you to the rescue faq, which I didn't know at the time that you had read, as otherwise a subject line like yours would cause me to not give an answer even if I knew it. But you seem to be posting your problem in a thread somewhat far away from where the people who might help you are likely to find it, being that this is a forum for those who think a hard disk install of Knoppix is a sane idea. I wasn't going to split it out and move it, however, with that subject line. If you search around in the forums you'll find other recent threads where the topic of trying to mount partitions that don't show up on the desktop or refuse to mount are covered in better detail.