help me with the wireless LAN on Acer 5300
Hello,
Can anyone help me set up the BCM4318 wireless LAN? ndiswrapper doesnot work. I used fwcutter and modprobe to install. lsmod shows the following information:
bcm43xx 417768 0
firmware_class 11648 2 bcm43xx,pcmcia
ieee80211softmac 27008 1 bcm43xx
ieee80211 33864 2 bcm43xx,ieee80211softmac
And KWiF manage gives the green signal. But the wireless light never comes up. Then i configured the network using DHCP and it failed. I have no idea what I should do? Thanks for any suggestions.
I believe ndiswrapper is broken on 5.0.1
[ I put a much simpler fix for this in the thread Problem with BCM4318 wireless LAN on Acer 5300 ]
(I could be wrong, but getting an updated version worked for me.)
To make things more complicated, there is also a kernel driver for your chip, bcm43xx.
So when knoppix boots up, that driver loads. It does not support WEP yet (as delivered on 5.0.1 but may by now in later versions). The bcm43xx driver also gave me an error msg about missing some firmware.
remove the kernel driver
rmmod bcm43xx
Install these 2 upgrades.
ndiswrapper-common_1.23-1_all.deb
ndiswrapper-utils-1.8_1.23-1_i386.deb
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe ndiswrapper
then
wlcardconfig and netcardconfig should set things up.
best,
john
Re: help me with the wireless LAN on Acer 5300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonschlange
Hello,
Can anyone help me set up the BCM4318 wireless LAN? ndiswrapper doesnot work. I used fwcutter and modprobe to install. lsmod shows the following information:
bcm43xx 417768 0
firmware_class 11648 2 bcm43xx,pcmcia
ieee80211softmac 27008 1 bcm43xx
ieee80211 33864 2 bcm43xx,ieee80211softmac
And KWiF manage gives the green signal. But the wireless light never comes up. Then i configured the network using DHCP and it failed. I have no idea what I should do? Thanks for any suggestions.
Have you already solved the problem? I could handle the issue of configuring wireless card only using the DVD. Booting from CD I couldn't enable my wireless card either. So, if the the matter is still of any interes for you, let me know and I'll give you some suggestions. RGDS