Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.
I am the systems administrator for all seven libraries in my parish here in Louisiana, and I think it would be great to remaster Knoppix into a kiosk version with basically a web browser, educational software, and a word processor to roll out on public access machines. I would want to remaster it without all of the network tools that could be dangerous if they fell into the wrong patron's hands, and remove unnessicary programs. I could save the IP addresses and printer settings on a floppy, and have self contained (patron proof) public workstation.
Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone know of a remastered version of Knoppix that is setup in a configuration like this for general public use. If not, I might give this a try and pass it on to others that could get some use out of this too.
Kiosk is a valid idea.... check out this idea with Dillo
Here's an excellent application of the Linux kernel combined with Dillo.
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2869412121.html
Bascially,
Anyone who has some gumption and smart, then that person could make a nice business using a re-mastered Knoppix combined with the ideas from that article.
Also, check out the 'on-the-fly' mastering of RxLinux. While not related directly to Knoppix, the idea behind RxLinux is cool.
One could have a business, say a 'Kiosks-R-US' business whereby you design some generic kiosk systems, e.g., library kiosk, Internet cafe kiosk, etc.
Then you sell a re-mastered Knoppix from a online configuation, i.e., customizing service. Simply, a person points their browser to your web based configurator (easy to build in say, Zope + Python). They choose their kiosk model, e.g., library kiosk. Your site dispatches a pre-made re-master to them via a link, after they pay you.
Of course, for more customization levels, you could charge more money, until someone gets to the 'ultimate customization' level, which would be an a la carte configurator. Simply, you would have to tweak your system to support the feature.
Good luck!
Re: Kiosk Knoppix for public libraries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamm
...I think it would be great to remaster Knoppix into a kiosk version...
Here's another resource that I ran across. Some of this stuff may be useful:
"Setting up an internet kiosk" http://stlouis-shopper.com/~jtjsoftw...osk-links.html