black screen, used boot cheat codes
I have an uncorrupted iso image CD, correctly burned. However, when knoppix boots it seems to be successful, yet after I am given a brief message about windows xp the screen flicks to black.
I used several boot options including:
-knoppix vga=0
-knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3
-knoppix failsafe debug -b 3
Still I get the black screen, and I know my monitor is detected and I don't believe my monitor the problem.
When I use the debug options all is well until I get the the very end, where I should only have to type "exit" to proceed. It doesn't work though, the word "logout" is continually given as a repy when I type exit, and I'm a bit confused here.
Any suggestions? :?
System: Athlon64 XP 3500 processor, ATI x800 video card, Windows xp
Re: black screen, used boot cheat codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousnation
... I don't believe my monitor the problem....
In the cheat codes you mentioned, you didn't seem to use anything that changes or forces the monitor resolution or, more importantly, scan rates. You also don't say what the monitor is. So my questions are: What is the make and model of the monitor? (A link to the monitor specs at it's manufacturer's site would be particularly helpful.) What resolution and scan rates does it normally use with Windows? Why do you believe it is not an out-of-range monitor issue causing the screen to go blank? Do you have another monitor that you can try, particularly something that you know to have good range in scan frequencies? Does your monitor have OSD that would tell you what resolution and frequency that Knoppix is trying to use (and if so have you looked at it)?
Re: black screen, used boot cheat codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousnation
I have an uncorrupted iso image CD, correctly burned. However, when knoppix boots it seems to be successful, yet after I am given a brief message about windows xp the screen flicks to black.
I just booted a slightly older slower (small hard drive) system
and the last thing you see, in pretty blue
is the
Starting the X Window System
which would be just before it kicks into to gui mode
I'd be going with looking at re-fresh rates
one of my systems auto started at 100hz, which is ok, except i hadn't set my monitor to be centered there
put it back to 75hz and it was fine
now, that system part of X in
/etc/X11
I hink it's xorg.conf you want to check for enabling unavailable desktop sizes
so that would be where you might limit refresh rates