Wireless yes, Internet no
I wonder if anyone out there has had this problem. I am running a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a built in Atheros AR500 mini wireless card. I was able to connect to my WI-FI LAN and the internet running Knoppix 4.3.8. I decided to try some of the later versions (version 5.x.x and up) and I get the following result. I can connect to my LAN just fine. I can bring up the setup page for my router and I can also get the status page for my network printer on my browser. The only problem is that I cannot connect to the internet. LAN yes WAN no. Any suggestions?
Re: Wireless yes, Internet no
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwilk
...... I can bring up the setup page for my router and I can also get the status page for my network printer on my browser. The only problem is that I cannot connect to the internet. LAN yes WAN no. Any suggestions?
Wow, quite different from the majority of Knoppix users fighting with wireless connections. I myself have not been able to get any version of Knoppix after 4.02 to connect wirelessly. But if you can get to the wireless setup page, you should be in good shape.
Since you obviously are not, I'll first start with the obvious questions: What make and model of router is it? Do you have any "security features" in the router enabled that we should know about, most importantly any MAC address filtering? What does your output from ifcoinfig look like? Who is your ISP, and could this be an IP4/IP6 issue?
And another question that may sound condescending but is quite sincere, why do you think that you don't have Internet access? Please open a shell (command prompt) and type the command ping 89.145.97.110 and report back what happens. If it works (which would indicate that you do indeed have Internet access), type ping knoppix.net and tell us what happens. If it fails but the prior ping worked, then you have a DNS issue.