Configuring the Network Card
I have a Knoppix Live CD. Last week I was giving it a try. I remember playing around with the network settings, and I eventually was able to go online and browse the Web. I wish I could remember what I did! Now, I can't get online. I use the "Configure Network Card" option and I said no to DHCP (as my ISP gives me a static IP address). I entered everything for IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Broadcast Address (I'm not sure what this is, but I entered the first three numbers of my IP address and used 255 as the fourth number -- per instructions found on the Net), and Name Server for Eth0.
It's driving me crazy! I really wish I could remember what I did last week. I do not have a router; I just use a DSL modem.
Re: Configuring the Network Card
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleelvis
..... I really wish I could remember what I did last week. I do not have a router; I just use a DSL modem.
This may surprise you, but we don't remember what you did either.
What DSL modem you have is rather important, as is your ISP. For specific help you should post this information. DSL typically uses PPPoE. Sometimes a router takes care of this for you. Some but not all DSL modems actually have a router built in that knows your account ID and password and does the PPPoE for you as well. I don't have such a modem, so I use a router. If your modem doesn't have a built-in router then you likely need to use the PPPoE software include with Knoppix, but see below before doing that.
I would absolutely never use a DSL internet connection without a router. The router provides a very important firewall protection that keeps hackers out of your system. The survival time of unprotected Windows system has repeatedly been shown to be so low that they can't get the required security updates to protect themselves from known exploits before they are usually taken over by hackers (usually around 4-5 minutes!!!). Even with Linux and even with a Knoppix CD this is an issue. So I strongly urge you not to use that DSL system without a router. Routers are dirt cheap now and very very important. With a router (assuming that one is not in your model, which is likely correct or this would not even be an issue for you) you do all of the configuration in the router, including that static IP address, and then Windows, Knoppix, or any other system does all of it's configuration automagically by DHCP and you are on the network as soon as you are done booting.