How to use download mirror data
How or what does one do with the data provided on the download mirror sites to initiate a download? Example:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
cdc0e9181d9dd2f2fc71aa9c59391001c46afa3e *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFFncLhN5jj11fjcIcRAgQeAJ42rJVpHZDuaZD8p/5jRD1f5TK/qgCfWM+F
eEw0xzD8sO2OYqJbo/L8dbQ=
=3poo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
I tried cutting and pasting various sections into the browser address bar, especially, KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso , without success. How is this properly done? (without bittorrent)
Thank you!
How to use download mirror data
Thank you for your response. Perhaps after I have completed a download I will be able to implement the suggestions you have given me. I'm sorry, but I am not even at step one. My query must be the lowest possible level of under standing. I want to download but I don't know how! All I have ever done in the past is click a DOWNLOAD button and the rest was automatic. I do not know what to do with the following data to start a download.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
cdc0e9181d9dd2f2fc71aa9c59391001c46afa3e *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFFncLhN5jj11fjcIcRAgQeAJ42rJVpHZDuaZD8p/5jRD1f5TK/qgCfWM+F
eEw0xzD8sO2OYqJbo/L8dbQ=
=3poo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
That is reason for this post. I intend to use the University of Florida mirror site, so hopefully it is safe. I would like to initiate an FTP transfer, but again, as mentioned above, I do not know how to use, or what to do with the info provided by the University of Florida, as copied above, to cause a download to occur.
Thank you
How to use download mirror data
Thanks for trying Harry. My question is probably so basic, so simple, so beginner and so obvious to you that it is a given that I know it, but I don't. Per my perception, there are no apparent download links. At least nothing I know how to use. The following is the end of the trail of knoppix CD downloads. Example:
Index of ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/knoppix/
Up to higher level directory
Name Size Last Modified
DVD 7/22/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt 39 KB 1/5/2007 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso 714448 KB 12/30/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso.md5 1 KB 12/30/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso.md5.asc 1 KB 12/30/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso.sha1 1 KB 12/30/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso.sha1.asc 1 KB 12/30/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso 713064 KB 1/4/2007 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5 1 KB 1/4/2007 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.md5.asc 1 KB 1/5/2007 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1 1 KB 1/4/2007 12:00:00 AM
File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc 1 KB 1/5/2007 12:00:00 AM
File:README 1 KB 8/18/2005 12:00:00 AM
contrib 8/28/2005 12:00:00 AM
docs 6/8/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:knoppix-cheatcodes.txt 10 KB 6/2/2006 12:00:00 AM
knoppix-cover 8/28/2005 12:00:00 AM
knoppix-customize 8/28/2005 12:00:00 AM
knoppix-vortrag-als2000 8/28/2005 12:00:00 AM
md5-old 12/30/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:packages.txt 124 KB 1/5/2007 12:00:00 AM
qemu-0.8.1 6/2/2006 12:00:00 AM
File:qemu-0.8.1-windows-README.txt 1 KB 6
I click on the current link in english: File:KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso.sha1.asc
and the next thing I see is:
"---BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
cdc0e9181d9dd2f2fc71aa9c59391001c46afa3e *KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
iD8DBQFFncLhN5jj11fjcIcRAgQeAJ42rJVpHZDuaZD8p/5jRD1f5TK/qgCfWM+F
eEw0xzD8sO2OYqJbo/L8dbQ=
=3poo
-----END PGP SIGNATURE----- "
This is the end of the trail! There is nothing more to click on. Is this the download link? How does it work?
What does one do with this information? Where in this is a download link? What part of this is a download link? And how do I get the download to work? For instance, is "KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso" the link. If so, does it go in the browser address bar as is? Or someplace else? Or is there an http://? Or something else?
BTW, I've spent hours with Google, and got lots of good info about Linux, etc, but nothing about how to use this particular mirror site info to create this particular download.
Thank you
How to use download mirror data
I used bittorrent to download Knoppix DVD,~4.14 GB. Took >14 hours! with a 1.5 MBPS download speed DSL connection.
Later I downloaded FireFTP into Firefox (my default browser) and, as you stated, the FTP client steps in and offers to download. Without FireFTP Firefox didn't do that. Thats why I was in mystery at why there was nothing to click on. However, I now see I most likely could have used the info on that final page to put "ftp:// KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso " into the Firefox address bar to start an FTP download, which is the answer to my initial question. (I didn't know about 'ftp://' at that time) But I didn't do that because I have the DVD now. I may later to create a CD to use on an older computer without a DVD reader, just to see how fast the 700MB file for CD will download with FireFTP.
Yes, I am interested in learning new things. I'm particularly tired of Windows. Not that its such a bad system, as I am not not that sophisticated, to really know all about that, but because I seem to spend more time fooling with anti virus, anti spyware, anti malware, anti rootkit scans, their software and their updates, removing unnecessary startup processes, windows updates, MSoffice updates, cleaning up unnecessary processes in the task manager, sudden crashes and slowdowns, restarts, disk checks, defrags, and on and on, that I barely have time to get to use my computer for anything fun or productive. It's mostly diagnosis, maintenance and repair. I'm hoping something like ubuntu will minimize all that and make computers more fun. Knoppix is my first toe in the water.
Thanks for your help
Re: How to use download mirror data
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjerry
I used bittorrent to download Knoppix DVD,~4.14 GB. Took >14 hours! with a 1.5 MBPS download speed DSL connection.
The speed depends on many things. Obviously your network connection and how your ISP connects to the rest of the world are big factors. And configuring your router/firewall so that inbound torrent requests are properly routed and honored is extremely important, as BitTorrent is designed to deliberately slow down if people don't configure their system to share the segments that they have already downloaded while they are downloading the rest. Over 14 hours may seem high, but remember that this is a file over 4 gig in size. Back when I did use the mirrors, I sometimes took longer than that to get the 700 meg CD version on a 1.5 DSL connection. I remember getting estimates of over 24 hours to download a CD version from a mirror, and sometimes shopping many mirrors before I could find one that would download the CD version as quickly as you got the DVD version. And even then the ISO ended up corrupted about half of the time! Now I've managed to download the DVD version in about 2 hours (with a 6 gig DSL connection). I have a friend who works at a university with a very high speed pipe, and he managed to download one of the 5.x DVD versions on the day it was released (fewer seeders and more demand) in under 30 minutes! Sure, try FTP if you want for the 5.1.1 CD version. Be sure to check that md5 or sha1 though, as FTP downloads can be subject to frequent problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjerry
... as you stated, the FTP client steps in and offers to download. Without FireFTP Firefox didn't do that. Thats why I was in mystery at why there was nothing to click on. However, I now see I most likely could have used the info on that final page to put "ftp:// KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso " into the Firefox address bar....
You shouldn't have to do that. Most browsers do indeed give you a link that you can download directly. In fact, I just dusted off an old machine with an older version of Firefox in it and no FireFTP, and that's what happens for me. I used the same URL that you gave above. A page opens labeled Index of ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/knoppix/ . Down the left side of the page are a number of different blue links, when I click on the one (about 3 down) marked KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso a dialog box opens saying "Opening KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso " and giving me the option to save it to disk. You should be able to see a copy of the screen that I see that will allow me to download the ISO file with no cut-and-paste operations here. Maybe there is less support being put in some newer browsers for FTP sites, but I've never seen a browser that wouldn't do this (except when I had FireFTP installed). I would like to have seen your system when it wasn't doing this, but now that you have FireFTP installed it will get involved in opening FTP sites, and I doubt that there is any merit in removing FireFTP just to see how your system was giving you problems.
How to use download mirror data
I did do a speed test at 'speedtest.qwest.net' that indicated my speed at that moment was 1147 MBPS, which is within the normal range for me of 1500+ to 1000. Wouldn't that take into account any firewall issues? The only firewall on this computer is from the router, and I'm told they are pretty good. I did notice that uploads were occurring during my download, although by the time I shut down my computer only about 1.5 gigs had been uploaded vs 4.14 gigs downloaded. I didn't see anything in the Bittorrent FAQ's about configuring router firewalls. That seems like a whole new area of expertise!
Sometimes I think we live in a perpetual Twilight Zone. I report my experience as accurately as I can, but it is unrepeatable by others. Go figure????? Anyway, I'm better off for this forum experience and I thank you for your knowledge, experience and willingness to help and share. I will be printing out your responses, as I expect there is a lot in there that I will be able use again and again.
docjerry
Re: How to use download mirror data
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjerry
.... The only firewall on this computer is from the router, and I'm told they are pretty good. I did notice that uploads were occurring during my download, although by the time I shut down my computer only about 1.5 gigs had been uploaded vs 4.14 gigs downloaded. I didn't see anything in the Bittorrent FAQ's about configuring router firewalls. That seems like a whole new area of expertise!
Wow, I had assumed that you had indeed configured your router (both because I had tried to stress how important it was previously and because I didn't expect that you would get the file in anywhere near 14 hours without configuring the router. I guess you got lucky, most likely because there are currently so many more seeders compared to downloaders. But you'll want to configure it for best performance and certainly if you try to download other things or if you try to get a newer version of Knoppix that has fewer seeders or more downloaders. I'm not going to write up a whole tutorial on this subject, there are plenty already. You just need to forward the ports that you will use to get to the proper computer on the local side of the network. I suggest that you do a Google search on the terms bittorrent router configure and read a few of the things that float to the top. I'll try to answer questions if needed.