If you just can't wait...
Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD, with KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.22 as well as LXDE, and every application under the sun (with the exception of a GUI-based CD/DVD burning application) is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.
So those who aren't interested in the ADRIANE project can still have their favorite Swiss Army knife Live CD.
(XMMS hasn't been in Debian for a while now. It looks like Audacious replaced it.)
<edit> That's nifty, you can install current NVIDIA drivers the "Debian way" while running from the live DVD.
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco2geek
A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD, with KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.22 as well as LXDE, and every application under the sun (with the exception of a GUI-based CD/DVD burning application) is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.
Not in the form of an iso, but of 31 (encrypted?) rar files. Before I spend several days to download this at 10 kB/s, can you tell me how to decrypt (if necessary) and reassemble?
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolus
Not in the form of an iso, but of 31 (encrypted?) rar files. Before I spend several days to download this at 10 kB/s, can you tell me how to decrypt (if necessary) and reassemble?
The archive is not password-protected, if that's what you mean. Each piece comes with a superfluous *.md5 file (superfluous because the bittorent protocol does its own error checking). How fast they reassemble on your computer would probably depend on your CPU more than anything else.
The archive extracts to a ~2.9 GB ISO with an md5 sum of
f7d618521bd97c3a1a54831218cadadd
Extracting the archive is as simple as running rar x "Knoppix 6.1.part01.rar" whether you're in Windows at a command prompt, or in Linux.
What else? You'll need to use the "lang=us" cheatcode (IIRC the "=" sign is Shift+0 on the German keyboard layout) in order to get it running in US English.
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco2geek
The archive is not password-protected, if that's what you mean.
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.
I presume these files were created by "split" and are to be rejoined in alphabetical sequence by "cat". Since they are all the same length, I suspect they were split after compressing rather than before, so that cat should precede rar. I won't be able to try that until the download finishes in a couple of days.
Thanks also for the keyboard tip. I can read German, more or less, but have an American keyboard.
Just out of curiosity - why split the file? To send as e-mail?
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolus
I presume these files were created by "split" and are to be rejoined in alphabetical sequence by "cat". Since they are all the same length, I suspect they were split after compressing rather than before, so that cat should precede rar. I won't be able to try that until the download finishes in a couple of days.
No, don't do that - it's a multi-volume archive. It wasn't split after compression, it was split during compression, by the archiving program itself. (RAR allows you to pick the size of each volume.) Feed RAR the name of the first volume, and it will work through them.
I don't actually know if you'd still be able to decompress the archive if you cat'd all the parts together...but it's not meant to work that way.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity - why split the file? To send as e-mail?
Maybe the torrent's author also meant to post it to a binary Usenet newsgroup, or maybe they downloaded it from Usenet in the first place. Who knows. Multi-volume archives make sense on Usenet, but they don't when using bittorrent.
Knoppix 6.1 CeBIT Edition screenshots
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco2geek
Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.
But it won't boot on my machine. (No problem with 6.01.) Lots of segfaults and I/O error messages. Some of us will just have to wait for the official DVD.
addendum - Unlike 5.3.1, with 6.01 my wireless works "out of the box." Since 5.3.1 there has also been a critical bug fix in ntfs-3g. These things matter to me, but the eye candy is irrelevant, and I'm hoping for the full complement of technical tools found in the 5.3.1 DVD.
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolus
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco2geek
Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.
But it won't boot on my machine. (No problem with 6.01.) Lots of segfaults and I/O error messages. Some of us will just have to wait for the official DVD.
I have experienced the same won't-boot problem as Carolus described.
I have spent the last 3-4 days downloading the 31 files Knoppix 6.1 DVD package.
The download was completed 4-5 hours ago and was WINRAR to create "Knoppix 6.1.iso" file of size 3,017,982KB. I then used Nero Express to burnt the iso file into an DVD. I have experiencing DVD burning problems with Nero and/or the DVD media which I believe I have fixed that (Nero error: internal target error). Thereafter, I have tried booting the DVD with or w/o cheatcodes but end up failed at the very beginning of each boot. Below I am giving the detailed information about the failed boots:
1. Boot without any cheat code
a. display is in German
b. right after the line ">>> Bitte den Datentrager..............<<<" , I got a message of "bus error"
c. after awhile, I a plain English message saying: "init : exec: line 589: /sbin/init" Input/Output Error"
d. system just hang
2. Boot with "Knoppix lang=us" cheat code
a. all display is in plain English
b. right after the line ">>> Pls do not remove medium until shutdown!! <<<", I got a message in plain English: "init : exec: line 589: /sbin/init" Input/Output Error"
c. please note that the "Bus error" message was not displayed this time
d. system just hang
I would like to confirm that I have previously booted the same system with both Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD and knoppix 6.0.1 successfully.
eco2qeek and capable hands, please chip in to identifying the problem.
Thanks & Regards,
Julian Chan
Hmm, sounds like 6.1 is coming. But regarding the 6.01CD.
I really wanted to use 6.01, but after a few weeks of trying to get it to work on a PC that doesn't have a USB boot option in the BIOS I came to realize that 6.01 is really only useful to those who do have that option.
I had hoped a workaround would be to make a boot CD with the isolinux.cfg modified to boot off the USB drive with the line fromhd=/dev/sda1 but the 6.01CD apparently ignores the command. I guess those boot options were left out of 6.01 and my conclusion at this point is that this means you basically can't use 6.01 very conveniently without a BIOS that boots USB because there's so much missing if you're dependent upon the system that is included on the CD like smbfs tools.
That being the case, this release is going to frustrate a lot of users who assume this is the same Live-CD based distro they're used to unless there is some kind of advanced warning. If this is going to be the norm going forward then perhaps a bit of a name modification would be helpful like USB-Knoppix. Or the Knoppix Live-USB distro.
If someone has gotten the USB based system to work on a PC without a USB boot option, I'd like to hear what you did.
Anyhow, with the news of 6.1 this will perhaps be irrelevant soon.
Re: Hmm, sounds like 6.1 is coming. But regarding the 6.01CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitikitimbo
I really wanted to use 6.01, but after a few weeks of trying to get it to work on a PC that doesn't have a USB boot option in the BIOS I came to realize that 6.01 is really only useful to those who do have that option.
I am running off a thumb drive via a boot CD.
The way to make the boot CD: just delete the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.
No other changes are needed - it will find the thumb drive.
This WILL work with a FAT32 thumb drive.
It will NOT work with an ext* fs on the thumb drive!
If you use testcd, you will get a file missing error.
I think you can also copy the whole CD (not the .iso) onto your hard drive.
The same boot CD will use the HD copy if no thumb drive is found.
(I copy it to a blank partition, YMMV, back up first, works on K531)
If you are using K3B to make a boot CD you have to set the boot correctly:
Project/Edit Boot Images
New
find the file
boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
open, use no emulation.
click on the isolinux.bin
Advanced: emulation none, check Boot-info-table, boot load seg 0x0, boot load size 0x4
One WARNING:
If I plug another USB drive on the same USB controller as my KNOPPIX thumb drive,
after booting,
it OFTEN crashes Knoppix!
The light on the Knoppix thumb drive goes out and stays out like it is not plugged in.
(K511 and K531 have also crashed often when running from a thumb drive)
The relative positions of the Knoppix USB drive and the newly plugged drive may be important. (You could try plugging Knoppix in a rear USB port and then only plug into front USB ports if you have them - YMMV.)
- edit-
Workaround:
Plug a USB2 hub with its own power before you boot.
I only plug into the hub after booting and have not had any trouble.
Re: If you just can't wait...
Quote:
Just out of curiosity - why split the file? To send as e-mail?
Maybe the torrent's author also meant to post it to a binary Usenet newsgroup, or maybe they downloaded it from Usenet in the first place. Who knows. Multi-volume archives make sense on Usenet, but they don't when using bittorrent.[/quote]
we're used to see those multifiles rar archives on torrent websites, warez sites, newsgroups, etc
if you get a corrupt file downloading something, it's a blessing (especially for volume limited adsl or cable internet connections as in my european country) not to have to download once more a 2GB file, but just 50MB for example ;-)
or you begin to download on rap.dshare, you get the first 50 parts, but the next is a dead link (then just google or ask someone to get the missing part)
Re: Hmm, sounds like 6.1 is coming. But regarding the 6.01CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvevans
Workaround:
Plug a USB2 hub with its own power before you boot.
I only plug into the hub after booting and have not had any trouble.
... so it's not a knoppix issue, but an hardware one (unpowered usb ports)
on my netbook, I noticed issues booting knoppix adriane 6 (from a flash drive/card with persistent data) with an external (powered) usb hdd already plugged in : it freezes
no problem if you plug the drive afterwards though (when you see lxde desktop)
Re: Hmm, sounds like 6.1 is coming. But regarding the 6.01CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvevans
Workaround:
Plug a USB2 hub with its own power before you boot.
I only plug into the hub after booting and have not had any trouble.
... so it's not a knoppix issue, but an hardware one (unpowered usb ports)
on my netbook, I noticed issues booting knoppix adriane 6 (from a flash drive/card with persistent data) with an external (powered) usb hdd already plugged in : it freezes
no problem if you plug the drive afterwards though (when you see lxde desktop)
That _is_ a puzzle. I have noticed in the past that if the system is writing to a slow-writing flash drive (90%+ are), reads to any HD got 10x slower than usual. Have you tried the boot from a flash drive with no saved image? Just a guess.
In my case the USB ports are all powered. The crash has happened with both motherboard ports and ports on an addon card. The ports have plenty of power to run an external HD, so running a flash drive is not a problem. I have 2 external HD's that run on USB power only that have never crashed on the very ports in question.
My problem is on good USB ports that can run a stress test for a week powering an external HD, but regularly crash a good flash drive on port 1 when a good flash drive is inserted into port 2. I have seen this problem on P2, P4, and Xeon systems; it is not rare.
Re: good surprise on 6.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxIT
<snip>
The boot_option_prompt at start remains very few seconds, and without being the 'faster of the west' to load keyboard layout at boot, the 'loadkeys' command seems don't work via terminal. The thing most similar to 'kcontrol' look to be 'Configuration Editor' which lack a keyboard layout option.
I use xmodmap to load my keyboard layout.
You can use xkeycaps to make keyboard layout files for xmodmap.