Maxtor external hard drive not detected/seen.
Will Knoppix help? I just got the ISO but I'm somewhat afraid of burning it to a CD. I understand it came from Linux, and I use Windows Vista. As for the problem at hand, this laptop is merely about a week old. The storage device is a year and a half old...well, that's how long I had it and I used it frequently on my old laptop. Anyway. it was working dandy up until last night. It was seen and accessible that same afternoon but between that and the evening something happened that caused it to drop off the face of the laptop. NOTHING can see it. Troubleshooting didn't help. I fear this may be my last resort since some suggest that I pry open the device itself and mount it in an enclosure.
Finally, will this thing go smoothly with Daemon Tools? I'm not sure if any CDs I have have enough space for the ISO.
Re: Maxtor external hard drive not detected/seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed State of Mind
Will Knoppix help? I just got the ISO but I'm somewhat afraid of burning it to a CD. I understand it came from Linux, and I use Windows Vista. As for the problem at hand, this laptop is merely about a week old. The storage device is a year and a half old...well, that's how long I had it and I used it frequently on my old laptop. Anyway. it was working dandy up until last night.
Sad to say, I have several hard drives that Windows can no longer access and Knoppix can't access either, and most were attached to Windows by an external firewire connection. From my observation Windows often trashes such drives beyond repair. However, your problem may be less devastating, maybe only the partition table and not the partitions themselves are damaged. In that case Knoppix may well be able to recover the partition table with gpart or testdisk. I don't think that you can know what your status is without trying.
By the way, I should mention that I have also seen some problems with the way that different versions of Windows compute LBA addresses. I had a major problem years ago on a system that was set up to dual boot between Win95 and Win98. While both OS's could apparently see the same drive partition and could even safely access data from it at first, it turned out that the way each OS computed the LBA was different, and as a result once the partition reachjed a certain level of fullness, each started writing data in different locations compared to where the other would . As a result the partition was completely ruined and all of the data on it was lost. I learned the hard way to never trust different versions of Windows to access data on a Windows partition. I certainly don't know if this is your case or not, but since you mention that you only had the laptop a week but had the storage device much longer, I'm thinking that you used it on a different system before that. And I would not put it past Microsoft to screw their customers again with Vista like they screwed me with Win95 and Win98.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed State of Mind
Finally, will this thing go smoothly with Daemon Tools? I'm not sure if any CDs I have have enough space for the ISO.
I'm hard pressed to know what you are saying here. If you are making a CD then Knoppix will not fit on an old 650 meg CD blank, but it will fit on any currently available unused 700 meg CD-R or unused or erased 700 meg CD-RW blank if burnt properly. See the downloading faq for details. If you are trying to burn an ISO with DVD in the name it will not fit on a CD, but will fit on a single level DVD blank if burnt properly. Other than that, if you are just out of media I'm not sure what you think we could say about that.