Buying preinstalled bootable USB drive vs. making own?
I've seen many places sell preinstalled USB thumb drives, containing a known-good copy of Knoppix, at a price that's a few dollars over the retail price of the equivalent blank.
The preinstalled USB drives, of course, would be installed correctly the first time, pre-tested to make sure they boot, checked all sectors to make sure they are free of errors, and so on.
My question is, if you've bought or made yourself a bootable USB thumb drive, how much (if anything) you would be willing to pay for this convenience?
I'm kind of kicking myself for not going into business a few years ago, when I first wrote the "Bootable USB Key" page, and had to field so many questions from people who really wanted a bootable Knoppix USB drive but couldn't quite figure out how to make it on their own. I should have started a little side business, selling preinstalled USB drives with Knoppix ready to go.
I attached a survey to this posting. Please fill it in. If you've ever considered paying for a known-good bootable USB key, vs. making it yourself, please fill in the amount of money you were willing to pay. This is a bottom-line comparison of final retail prices (so, tax and shipping should already be included in the price comparisons). Also, assume the shipping is fairly fast, equivalent at least to US first-class mail (around two-three days for a small item like a USB thumb drive).
Thanks!
Josh
Re: Buying preinstalled bootable USB drive vs. making own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellan2
My question is, if you've bought or made yourself a bootable USB thumb drive, how much (if anything) you would be willing to pay for this convenience?
Josh
Interesting question.
Josh, I believe that some "price" should exist for the service.
How much it can be I cannot grasp, besides having some ideas about the subject.
Last year I had an idea based on my interest in "LiveCDs" and "LiveUSBs", here is the idea in full:
(I named it, the L2-BIOS [level 2 BIOS])
http://sites.google.com/site/l2bios/
Here a illustration:
https://4862920797741684118-a-180274...icro%20usb.jpg
I think there is market for it, if you can make a service package, other than just trying to sell the pre-installed USB.
Anyway, it is interesting to know the development of this topic.
Thanks for bringing it here.
Regards,
Valter
Re: Buying preinstalled bootable USB drive vs. making own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellan2
I'm kind of kicking myself for not going into business a few years ago, when I first wrote the "Bootable USB Key" page, and had to field so many questions from people who really wanted a bootable Knoppix USB drive but couldn't quite figure out how to make it on their own. I should have started a little side business, selling preinstalled USB drives with Knoppix ready to go.
Josh
Think again and keep the thinking. It still a good time for this idea, at least in my oppinion.
Take a look of the graph evolution for the term "live usb" on Google Insights For Search:
http://www.google.com/insights/searc...e%20usb&cmpt=q
It's still growing and gaining momentum.
Valter
Re: Buying preinstalled bootable USB drive vs. making own?
Interesting idea about L2-BIOS.
I had a similar idea around 2005 or so, but never wrote it up online.
My idea was called "PreOS". It would be a tiny, self-contained operating system, whose sole purpose would be to boot another OS, from any and all possible sources. It would do these functions:
* Walk all of the various busses (PCI, USB, FireWire, etc.) and discover all attached devices
* Have drivers for several common SATA and SCSI controllers
* Discover all partitions on all attached drives
* Let user choose which partition to boot from, out of all of these
* Option to boot from Ethernet, via PXE, on any Ethernet interface
* Option to boot from USB CD (many BIOS's, to this day, still have trouble with external drives)
* Easy enough to add floppies or ZIP drives, if anyone still cares about them
* Small self-contained Linux installation, boot to a BusyBox shell prompt if nothing else works, for troubleshooting
* Save user's boot choices, and use them automatically next time
In other words, PreOS would be doing what the BIOS was supposed to do, except this time, get it right!
Interestingly, my motherboard has a small little bit of flash memory on it, that runs before the BIOS. It's called "Splashtop", and it's a form of Linux! Unfortunately, stupidly, it's completely locked down, making it useless. I'd love to install Knoppix, or something like that, to this special area of memory.
Re: Buying preinstalled bootable USB drive vs. making own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellan2
I had a similar idea around 2005 or so, but never wrote it up online.
My idea was called "PreOS". It would be a tiny, self-contained operating system, whose sole purpose would be to boot another OS, from any and all possible sources. It would do these functions:
In other words, PreOS would be doing what the BIOS was supposed to do, except this time, get it right!
Interestingly, my motherboard has a small little bit of flash memory on it, that runs before the BIOS. It's called "Splashtop", and it's a form of Linux! Unfortunately, stupidly, it's completely locked down, making it useless. I'd love to install Knoppix, or something like that, to this special area of memory.
Josh, the “PreOS” seems interesting (at least for somebody like me).
In fact, believe me or not, I have one “splash O.S.” prototype done!
It’s working.
Core only 6MB, boots up in 3 seconds (Celeron 3.3GHz).
My name: SubiTux = Subito Tux or Subito O.S.
The word "subito" means: suddenly; without or with few intermediaries.
It's goal is to be very, very simple and easy, and, of course, small.
Anybody (well, almost) can compile it from source (53 minutes to core).
This is the GUI One-Click-Compiler:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/...53a1dd71_o.jpg
You can read about here:
http://sites.google.com/site/subitux/
And this was the old, initial docs:
[Going Beyond The LiveUSB]
http://sites.google.com/site/networkbricks/
[The Original “first prototype”]
http://sites.google.com/site/netbrixlinux/
All source and scripts is open.
I have more few docs and 3 small videos to upload to YouTube, please just wait a few days (or hours) and I will be compiling all the info (more) into a cohesive and more easy to read documentation. These first pages just “happen” last 12 months and I was unable to make them “palatable” and easy.
The prototype was entirely based on the document “Slitaz From Scratch Book” with my ideas blended (the One-Click-Compiler, the network bricks, the Subito idea and others).
I hope to compile a decent set of pages with all infos easily readable in the next few days, and to make a more “de facto prototype” for the public soon. For now, all the stuff is there for download.
Valter
*Former name was Net-Brix, from network bricks, changed to avoid conflict.
Re: Buying preinstalled bootable USB drive vs. making own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by netzen
Josh, the “PreOS” seems interesting (at least for somebody like me).
In fact, believe me or not, I have one “splash O.S.” prototype done!
It’s working.
Core only 6MB, boots up in 3 seconds (Celeron 3.3GHz).
My name: SubiTux = Subito Tux or Subito O.S.
You can read about here:
http://sites.google.com/site/subitux/
All source and scripts are open.
I have more few docs and 3 small videos to upload to YouTube, please just wait a few days (or hours) and I will be compiling all the info (more) into a cohesive and more easy to read documentation. These first pages just “happen” last 12 months and I was unable to make them “palatable” and easy.
I finally finish editing 3 small (very small) videos and uploaded them to YouTube:
[SubiTux booting]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8hwKNoq8A
[SubiTux running Firefox]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFHvLQqJsc
[SubiTux running xGalaga]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ4xQGhVB14
I'm finishing compiling a PDF explaining the idea, need some more final touch and will be online...
Valter
Asking for infos about the "Pre-OS" concept.
Hi Josh (and all people that the idea of LiveCD/USB may interest),
I like to ask you more information about your “PreOS” concept and I want to offer more details about my “subito OS concept” (the SubiTux).
Perhaps there are things we can share and collaborate with each other on the subject.
[The General Information Site]
http://sites.google.com/site/subitux/
[The “Subito Information Revolution Manifesto”]
http://sites.google.com/site/subitux/manifesto
If you have a link with any information about your “PreOS” that you feel safe to share with us, please post here so that we may start a kind of “dialog” around the subject matter.
My “SubiTux” project has part of its roots on Debian Project and Knoppix Project, so, it will be interesting to build here the “dialog”, because its implications can help inspire Knoppix users and developers.
Because my “SubiTux” Project is 70% about “information” and 30% about FOSS software, I am absolute sure that Knoppix people (users and developers) can benefit directly from that “70% informational” part and, at least indirectly from the SubiTux software itself.
I’m still working to make the documentation better, but right now those pages can communicate a fairly good idea about the project.
Thanks all,
Valter
Re: Asking for infos about the "Pre-OS" concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netzen
Hi Josh (and all people that the idea of LiveCD/USB may interest),
I like to ask you more information about your “PreOS” concept and I want to offer more details about my “subito OS concept” (the SubiTux).
Perhaps there are things we can share and collaborate with each other on the subject.
I actually don't have any more information. The links I give you below, are about all that was the extent of it.
It would be a combination of many different pieces of open source software.
Here's an early prototype I made, to boot from PXE and autodetect various Ethernet cards in computers (this was back before PXE became standard in almost all new Ethernet cards these days):
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/private/jlehan/pxe-on-a-disk.html
I made this back in 2005.
It's a compilation of all Etherboot drivers, all stuffed onto a floppy (or very small CD) image. Worked great.
Write this image to a floppy (or very small CD), put it in an old computer that doesn't have built-in PXE, and presto, as if by magic, that computer now has PXE!
Here's some additional tools that I looked at, but did not end up using:
Here's a boot image which has 2 key features, let you boot from any hard disk partition of your choice (not just the first partition), and boot from an IDE CD-ROM drive on very old computers that didn't have working CD-ROM booting already in their BIOS:
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html
As for compiling all these tools together into what might have became "PreOS", somebody already is working on a similar project, which combines many, many boot images for specialized tools or booting from alternative media that might not be supported by the BIOS:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
And, somebody also has an adapter program that can convert many CD boot images to Live USB boot images instead, for booting from USB:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
All of these should be good leads to follow up with, for your project.
A request: Can this thread be closed? Perhaps start another thread for your SubTux project, since it's something completely different from my original question.
Thanks!
Re: Asking for infos about the "Pre-OS" concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellan2
All of these should be good leads to follow up with, for your project.
A request: Can this thread be closed? Perhaps start another thread for your SubTux project, since it's something completely different from my original question.
Thanks for reply with all the information. The more we know, the greater the chance to avoid recreating something that already exist.
Sorry, I apologize for creating deviation from the subject on the topic. Let's keep the topic around the original subject.
Valter
Re: Asking for infos about the "Pre-OS" concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellan2
A request: Can this thread be closed? Perhaps start another thread for your SubTux project, since it's something completely different from my original question.
Hi, I started a new (continuation) topic to try to create the exchange there:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...=122061#122061
Thanks all,
Valter