Knoppix boot from different partitions
If you have copied Knoppix 6.2.1 files to a partition on your HDD and you try to boot from a 6.2.1 USB key, it will somehow switch over to loading and mounting everything from the HDD copy.
Is there any way to disable this, to force Knoppix to boot from a particular partition, or from a particular KNOPPIX/ directory, when there are multiple versions lying around?
Can we have a KNOPPIX6.2.1 and KNOPPIX6.4.3 directories each containing the relevant Knoppix files in different partitions and choose which one to boot from a Grub menu.lst? I'm trying this right now and at the moment, 6.4.3 strangely seems to boot the 6.2.1 partition (I put on 6.2.1 first). It also takes very much longer when it does this, sticking for a while at a "Probing EDD..." prompt.
Boot from ISO KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-12-20-EN.iso
Hi you all,
I have been fighting a few days with a variant of the current problem, so I share it with you.
My aim is to boot from ISO the latest Knoppix version. This ISO hold on a usb 320 GB external disk with several partitions.
The only way I managed to boot Knoppix 6.4.3 from this disk (/dev/sdb) was to create a suitable size partition (/dev/sdb8 and then cat KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-21-20-EN.iso > /dev/sdb8
booting with gujin as bootloader it works fine.
However I don't want to waste a partition for KNOPPIX and I'd like to boot it straight from the ISO image.
my USB HDD has FAT (/dev/sdb2) NTFS (/dev/sdb3) ext2 (/dev/sdb6) partitions and I can place the ISO on anyone.
I made some attempts using GRUB2 (I can also boot from grub4dos) but unsuccessfully (basically the iso image is not found and the boot process drops to prompt)
this is grub.cfg entry
Quote:
menuentry 'KNOPPIX' {
set root='(hd0,7)'
#loopback loop /KNOPPIX_V6.4.3DVD-2010-12-20-EN.iso
linux (hd0,6)/boot/isolinux/linux desktop=gnome bootfrom=/dev/sda7/boot/isolinux/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=it vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX
video=vga16fboff nomce loglevel=1 tz=localtime
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}
you can see I extracted linux and minirt.gz from the ISO and placed on /boot/isolinux in order to fire it
Anyone can help me ?
Thanks in advance
benny