Announcement from Klaus - DVD Knoppix planned
Quote:
We are currently planning a DVD edition of Knoppix for LinuxTag 2003 (
http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/index.html).
For this, I would like to know which software you would like to see on a "full featured" version. Uncompressed space available is about 6 GB (currently in use: 2.7 GB), so the compressed image will roughly need 2.2 GB of space on a 4.7 GB medium, if not too much data is already in compressed format.
The remaining of the DVD space will be used for the free conference papers, sponsor and multimedia stuff.
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...ne/003062.html
--Also, 2003-0606 will probably be the last version until LinuxTag 2003 happens.
LinuxTag 2003 DVD prerelease
From the debian-knoppix mailing list.
---------
To: [email protected]
From: [email protected] (Klaus Knopper)
Subject: [debian-knoppix] LinuxTag 2003 DVD prerelease images available
Date sent: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:33:22 +0200
[ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]
...for those who have a DVD burner and really want to do some SERIOUS
betatesting. ;-)
The images (german and english, though the pressed DVD will default to
german) will be downloadable on ftp.uni-kl at a password-protected
directory for limited access. I have agreed with the ftp admins on this,
since the machine is already heavily overloaded with the downloads of
the standard CD edition of Knoppix.
So, if you have a DVD burner, and are not afraid to download a
(currently) 1.5GB image, please send a mail containing
"KNOPPIX LT03 DVD BETATEST" to me directly, and I will reply with the
download location and password as soon as possible.
Status: Most of the software that was recommended through this list has
been included. The current list of packages is available at
http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/packages-dvd.txt
Still a lot of work to do.
The bootscreen/HTML-help graphics and and embedded version numbers are
mostly unchanged yet, please do not report this as a bug. ;-)
Most important is to check if all installed packages work correctly,
or changes are required in the writable areas/configuration files.
Regards
-Klaus Knopper
--
Klaus Knopper Technical Solutions & Finances
[email protected] http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371 Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo Where .com meets .org
_______________________________________________
debian-knoppix mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.linuxtag.org/mailman/...debian-knoppix
There is an obvious solution to the bandwidth problems
People can mirror the DVD images. I would gladly mirror them. I could even break the image into small files and use a .jigdo file to allow people to collect the files and recreate the original bit-for-bit (as Debian does with their images) for easier downloading. That wouldn't be neccessary, of course, but I could. I may have a lowly DSL connection, but it is unmetered (aside from the bandwidth cap) and I have a static DNS address to counter my dynamic IP address. Machines with unmetered internet connections and Apache make a great combination. I'm also confident that I am not the only one who would be glad to help. I'd also be willing to mirror selected CD images (I only carry the EN versions right now and that'll probably continue).
Re: Still having trouble ...
--I had some weird hangup happen when installing on my Dell laptop P166 with a 20-gig HD... I ended up hitting Alt-Sysrq-S to sync the drive, and it continued. But I had to keep an eye on "top" running in a different VT to see when it hung, and had to sync a bunch of times. Maybe something to do with DMA/hdparm settings, I dunno.
--Try doing a Sysrq sync when it hangs; if that doesn't work, move everything to the motherboard IDE controllers temporarily and see if that does the job. (You can always reboot into the cd and change fstab on the install after moving everything back.)
--BTW, you probably don't need more than 256Meg of swap unless you want to save the machine state if it crashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman
I still cannot get through knx-hdinstall.
I now have a 2GB swap partition, and a 4.5GB volume. I let the script run overnight and the disk was still spinning this morning (1% copied).
I see no problems with the disk in FreeBSD 5 nor WinXP. I think I've even booted Win2K (all are installed on separate partitions on this on 120GB drive. I've also got Win2K3 and BeOS MAX 2.1 installed. I temporarily took off WInME to make more room for KNOPPIX).
I'll go through each filesystem format (ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs) with knx-hdinstall the next time I have a free moment.
-SUO
Re: Announcement from Klaus - DVD Knoppix planned
Hi all,
I don't know whether this is the best place to submit my request for new software for Dvd-Knoppix, but at present I have really too little time to search a better way and I'd really like to propose these programs:
- Lilypond: it is _THE_ Free Music Typesetter for all sorts of musicians: it is text-based - and TeX-based! - and requires Guile, the GNU Scheme implementation
- MusiXTeX: the name should me self-explanatory...
- Noteedit: this is a graphical music notation editor that acts as a front-ent for Lilypond, MusiXTeX and ABC
Before greeting all, I'd like to thank very very much Klaus and all people helping him: Knoppix is really great!!
And I hope it will be possible to purchase the Dvd-Edition on line: I'd sure buy it!
Thank you again!
Bye,
Guido
Better luck with the 6-20 beta
I pulled the new DVD ISO and was able to complete knx-hdinstall. A few more "ups" and, surprisingly, some new "downs:"
The KNOPPIX boot process detects all of my hard drives now ... up to /dev/hdh
However, no USB devices were detected and activated. Since I only have a USB mouse, this is very debilitating. Was the default USB detection removed (or must be explicitly specified now)?
As I mentioned, I was able to complete knx-hdinstall. The main copying progressbar is still based on 2100MB of files, so the progress approaches 200% before it is done. I also kept getting APIC errors from my two CPUs during the install.
Unfortunately, the lack of USB carried over to the HD install. So, I've got some tweaking to do.
-SUO