Frequent wifi disconnects & re-connects
.
My laptop has a built-in wifi, rated for class a/b/g and n.
I have two routers, one from Verizon which is rated for class a/b/g, and connects with WEP.
the other is a Belkin rated for classes g and n, and connects with WAP.
I have nominally 15 Mb/s broadband, and 15 internet-near-neighbors, mostly Verizon subscribers
I would guess from the routers' designations. My routers show 2 to 4 bars, neighbors show 1 or 2.
My laptop usually connects to either of my routers in a few seconds, with the WAP connection taking
just slightly longer.
Over an eight-hour period of occasional, but infrequent on-line use of a given internet
connection, the Verizon router remains connected continuously, whereas
over a comparable eight-hour period, the Belkin
router has 145 disconnect-and-reconnects, averaging about every 3.3 minutes. The disconnected
period for the Belkin router is usually only about two seconds long.
If I were not alarmed by all the print-out on /var/log/syslog for the Belkin case, I might not
be aware of much diffence in browsing performance between the two routers, excepting only the
occasional time there is a noticeable lag in surfing to a new internet address, presumably
waiting for one of the two-second-reconnects to complete.
Any thoughts on what might be troubling my Belkin router would be appreciated.