WARNING: Knoppix killed the BIOS on my Dell Optiplex
I recently booted knoppix 3.2 on a Dell Optiplex machine. Knoppix worked fine, but when I shut down and tried to restart I discovered that the computer was no longer working - It would not even get to the Bios setup, the screen stayed entirely blank and the diagnostic lights on the motherboard indicated it is a Bios problem. I had to get the motherboard replaced. I would STRONGLY recommend avoiding using Knoppix on a Dell Optiplex or any other Dell machines as it may affect them as well.
can we make Knoppix safer for dells?
Is there any way I can shut Knoppix down with some set of options or flags or something, so that it runs the shutdown commands one at a time?
Presumably the last one I see is the one that kills the machine, right?
Or maybe I could comment out blocks of shutdown commands, shutting down, fixing my shiznit, booting up and shutting down again until I can figure out which command is doing it...
Any tips from Knoppix gurus? I'm gonna go "man shutdown" now (damn.. that sounds kinky, somehow) and see what I can figure out, but additional thought or advice are both greatly appreciated.