Morphix not booting from hdinstall
Hello,
I can not get Morphix lgui, installed to the HD, to boot. The CD boots fine. I am able to run the knx-hdinstall to run fine (it shows version 0.37 btw). Some messages flash by very quickly, but I am unable to see them as the curses(?)-based GUI quickly refreshes and wipes out the messages.
I tried
knx-hdinstall 1 > /var/log/installlog
and
knx-hdinstall 2 > /var/log/installlog
but neither show the messages I see when running the installer...
Anyhow, I run through the installer. On rebooting from the HD, I notice these two errors:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or 08:01
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel Panice: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
I've spent a good many hours on this now, and I can't figure out what is wrong. The lilo.conf looks fine, it is pointing to the right drive /dev/sda1.
I've also tried formatting the / fs as xfs and ext2... no luck... each time the fstab has the correct fs type but still does not work.
If anyone can help, that would be great!
Using Morphix to roll your own Knoppix/Morphix bootable CD
While I was hacking at Morphix-base today, two neurons fired off at the same time, and I had a great idea... I actually tried this, so it does work ;)
***** The only thing new here is the way to 'remaster' the build AND TEST the build before rolling it out (using chroot and apt-get)
***** Note that the _base_ is changed, not a module itself
***** Apologies to Alex for hacking his fine work and his docs :shock:
***** This can NOT be done if you have booted from a Knoppix/Morphix CD.. it has to be done while running Linux from HD
Here it is - CUSTOM MORPHIX/KNOPPIX MAKER
- Unpack MorphixBase-UK-0.2.iso
> mount -o loop MorphixBase-UK-0.2.iso /mnt/virtualcd1
> cp -R /mnt/virtualcd1/* /tmp/boot-img
- Start with the base ISO image (base/Morphix), uncompress + copied to a temp dir, let's say /tmp/CustomMorphix
> extract_compressed_fs /tmp/boot-img/base/morphix > /tmp/CustomMorphix
> mount -t proc proc /tmp/CustomMorphix/proc
> cd /tmp/CustomMorphix/
> chroot ./
- Now that we are in the chroot 'jail' we can run most commands
just as if we were inside a 'live' morphix environment
- to customize the environment, run the normal commands while in the chroot environment
> apt-get update
> apt-get install vim
> apt-get install emacs
> ETC
- test while in the chroot environment
> emacs file.txt
> vi file.txt
> ETC
- to get out of the chroot environment
> exit
> CNTRL-D
- make sure you do this before proceeding
> umount /tmp/CustomMorphix/proc
- now we simply need to repack the base ISO image as a compressed iso9660 fs
> mkisofs -R -U -V "MyMorphix" -P ""MyMorphix" " -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /tmp/CustomMorphix| nice -5 create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /tmp/boot-img/base/morphix
-now we create the bootable Morphix/Knoppix CD image
> cd /tmp
> mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "MyMorphix"-b base/boot.img -c base/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved -o mymorphix.iso boot-img
- write mymorphix.iso to CD, run and enjoy.
I understand the benefit in the 'modular' way that Morphix does things, using a MainMod and MiniMod(s), and I believe this is a good thing. I thought I would post my work so far so others can better understand how Morphix/Knoppix work...
-Pratik
MorphixCombined-KDE3.1GUI
When do you think to make available a MorphixCombined-KDE3.1-HeavyGUI & MorphixCombined-KDE3.1-LGUI :?:
With things like: hdinstall, wine, phoenix, nvidia drivers… with no fancy geek’s :shock: things
The KDE Morphix will be a must for us, do you know that :?:
Its just we are not all geeks :shock: and gnome lovers, but love your existing work and becoming Aficionado :D
Ciao. Awaken The Giant In You 8)