Evolution, Xcdroast, Xine are all gone :(
How can I get them back? If I would have known I would've stayed with Knoppix 3.2.
Printable View
Evolution, Xcdroast, Xine are all gone :(
How can I get them back? If I would have known I would've stayed with Knoppix 3.2.
You're using the Live CD or you have it installed locally?
If you have it installed on your HD just reinstall them.
heeej, and imho its useless to have 2 progs for the same thing on the cd. Evolution and Kmail, k3b and Xcdroast, mplayer and Xine... imho Kmail, k3b and mplayer are good enough (if not better) and they take less space and fit nicely in KDE, (imho Openoffice could be removed also, Koffice fills MY needs, but I guess most ppl disagree ;))
Yes, I disagree - Xcdroast for instance does the job really nice, even if k3b has a more fancy look-alike. And last but not least - the main thing in OpenSource is to have something for anybody.Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstoned
regards
hans
Ah, but then, there's the question of space.
indeed, space is the problem. I prefer more different software over more of the same (like kmail and evolution, I'd rather have Kmail and Kpovray)...
If you prefer the gnomeprograms, use gnoppix... KDE with KDE/QT software is faster, as is Gnome with Gnome/gtk software. And they integrate better.
All the more reason for a DVD version. of KnoppixQuote:
Originally Posted by fingers99
Can't argue with that, but it'll be a bugger to download!Quote:
All the more reason for a DVD version. of Knoppix
How about a DVD version that is still compressed but who's ISO is only about 2x or 3x the current 700MB size?
You wouldn't have to download 4-5GB ISOs (1.4-2.1GB).
The execution speed : compression ratio would still good.
Instead of about 2GB of uncompressed apps, we'd get 4GB-6GB, so space wouldn't be much of an issue anymore!
What do you think?
Regards,
I like it. Can we have Squeak on it, please? :-)
Hello all,
I agree that vanishing programs and hard
choices for space on the CD is a valid concern.
I keep using the DVD and would like to see
a DVD released a few times a year.
The disk operates with no noticeable speed
problem. It is fantastic to try and compare
so many programs.
The DVD fills a good place for users who
do not need to push the limits for the latest
improvements. It will add to keep the KNOPPIX
community active. Purchase of the disk instead of
downloading is a reasonable option.
Best Wishes
paradocs
my guess is that the 'good' software is still sitting on the developers computer, maybe even deleted from his computer :twisted: . if you want to have all your software, you have to do it yourself, thats just the way it is kiddo. theres plenty of info on remastering your own cd, maybe you will then appreciate the work that goes into the development before you complain again, eh?
Exactly what I had in mind, AJ. After all, if someone downloads any other linux distro (e.g., Mandrake, RedHat, SuSE), you're looking at 3 CDs worth of downloads anyway. I'm not saying get rid of the CD version (it is quite handy, after all), but I think there's a real need for a DVD version as well.Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia