installed on to HD but can't boot
ive succesfully installed knoppix multiple times but when i try to boot it without the cd, lilo doesnt even run and it goes straight into windows. so i tried using a boot disk when its wirting it it gives me error messages and when i try to boot from it after installation it gives me this error message " boot failed/invalid replace disk and then press return". what in the world do i do?!!! please help me
Anyone Care to clue me in...
Alright I'm still a little new to linux myself so please, be gentle.
I've got a challenge from my instructor; he wants me to figure out a way to install both windows xp pro and knoppix on a single hard drive. And it must be bootable, now he is clueless about linux so assistance from him is out of the picture.
With that said let me just give a brief summary as to how far along I am:
Got xp loaded, same with knoppix on the hard drive, 3 partitions, 1 swap, 1 knoppix, 1 xp. Xp is in the ntfs format, I followed the "Howto: dual-boot knoppix with nt/2000/xp" and so far everything has worked out fine. I can boot knoppix from the boot disk it created, lilo is not in the mbr, and xp boots normally and gives the option for one or the other.
Now my problem is if I use the knoppix boot option I get an error that tells me "<Windows root> \system32/hal.dd" isn't there and needs to be put back. I did a check in windows and it is listed under it's system32 folder, however I'm unsure if knoppix is needing this file as well. Anyone care to clue me in, I feel almost as if I'm simply missing something.
Thanx