I found this announcment here.
Can any German speaking users confirm this? Perhaps this was also on the developers list. I haven't been watching it too much recently. In any event it sounds pretty cool.
Printable View
I found this announcment here.
Can any German speaking users confirm this? Perhaps this was also on the developers list. I haven't been watching it too much recently. In any event it sounds pretty cool.
Yes, you are right. The website of the c't magazine says:
Issue 4/2004 is due February 9, 2004
Companies appreciate it for its security and reliabilit. Private users, however, are still reluctant to use Linux. Why is that? c't tests everyday usability of system and applications and presents on the attached CD-ROM a breakting fresh Knoppix 3.4 with Kernel 2.6 for you to try out.
(translation from: http://www.heise.de/ct/inhverz/vorschau.shtml)
check out the mailing list... here's a post from Klaus http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermai...ry/004506.html, click [thread] above the message to see more/later messages on the same topic
To save you the time here's the pertinent message:
As for features of the new 3.3 and new 3.4 releases, check out aay's post of about two weeks ago (Klaus says nothing has changed).Quote:
The first public version of KNOPPIX 3.4 will be announced and
distributed (if everything goes well) at CeBit 2004
(http://www.cebit.de/), and also be available for download shortly
afterwards.
The private edition in a german computer magazine is independent
thereof.
I'm still doing an update of the current 3.3 version, but have been
waiting for the XFS patch for Kernel 2.4.24 for quite a while without
success (it's still not there on
ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/patches/2.4.24, anybody happens to know
why it is delayed?). Now KDE 3.1.5 is slowly entering Debian/unstable,
and I will probably include it in the 3.3 update as well, so please
allow me some more time for the update.
HTH
I think Im getting Old!!!!!
I remember so well being excited about 2.4.....
It seemed like a must have - all that extra stuff built in....
Now 2.6 looks even better but Im not excited
I should be buying an AMD64 and getting 2.6 but Im just thinking about my server uptime.....
Whats wrong with me....
Could it be that discovering knoppix has distrated me or am I just getting old...
Well I'm interested in having a 2.6 kernel which is supposed to support firewire and wlan cards a lot better than at the moment. Also looking forward to updates of various packages.
And then I'm interested in seeing how Fabian has improved the installer, and if booting from firewire/USB is better/easier.
So I've got enough excitement for the both of us ;)
He he. I remember waiting for 2.0 with baited breath.... and all the talk...Quote:
Originally Posted by gowator
First time I saw Linux it was Slackware on 12 diskettes, loaded onto a 386SX-16 with 150M HD and 4M of RAM (and lots of swap space!!!).
Feel better now? ;-)
Any chance that the nVidia Linux 2.6 driver will be included in Knoppix 3.4?
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2163
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-5336.html
Or something that makes my ATi work correctly in Linux. Basicly nForce2 motherboard, ATi video card and Linux all toguether... don't mix very well... I read something in a web page that if you wanted that configuration to work, a kernel recompilation was necesary... :? Oh well... maybe in 20 or 30 years my system will be totaly compatible with Linux :(
No. I think the nividia license allows for such distribution, but Kluas is not persuaded. Kano or Fabianix may have an install script for it however as they did for 2.4.xQuote:
Originally Posted by sn0wflake
Is the release date for Knoppix 3.4, February 9th, related to the KDE 3.2 release date, February 2nd?
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7689
http://developer.kde.org/development...ease-plan.html
By reckoning the official release will be much later than this. Feb 9th is the date that 3.4 will appear in the above mentioned magazine. I believe Klaus has said that 3.4 won't be "officially" released until after the Cebit conference (March 18 - 24). So unless somone in German wants to get a copy of it from the magazine and put up a bit torrent link somewhere (hint hint), we won't be getting it for a while.Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wflake
I found the information about ATi's drivers http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=22 <- here.
Doesn't make sense. From the NVidia licensing page:Quote:
Originally Posted by aay
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html
IOW, as long as the driver doesn't need to be modified to work under Knoppix, redistribution is explicitly allowed.Quote:
Originally Posted by NVidia license
If Knoppix has some sort of special driver-loader which requires wrappers or format conversion, that would be a problem, but if Knoppix works just like any other Linux, then sehr gut.
except for unzippingn of compressed files- however running them in a cloop compressed image is compressing them and hence is altering them. They are distributed in tar.gz generally. However, adding them in knoppix requires uncompressing them (ok), and then recompressing them into cloop (probably not ok).
Of course if you gutting 60% of knoppix, you could fit it on a CD without cloop compression....
Alex (creator of Morphix) asked Nvidia if it would be ok to include the drivers on Morphix. They said it would be fine. I think (not completely sure) that this was told to Klaus.Quote:
Originally Posted by arkaine23
So, if it's not ok to compress them, but it's ok to uncompress them, how did they become compressed in the first place??Quote:
Originally Posted by arkaine23
Given that other distributions include them (and the comment about Morphix being told by NVidia that it's ok), I'm guessing this is just "someone" playing political games. Ok, I'll just have to learn to do remastering. Meanwhile, MandrakeMove (free download edition) seemed to boot fine on my SN41G2 XPC (NForce2), so I assume MM has the NVidia drivers in it too (although it's nowhere nearly as nice-looking or smooth as Knoppix!).
I guess that a Knoppix CD shipped with the c't magazine could be shared on the Internet without any problems?Quote:
Originally Posted by aay
But, I am afraid, that most likely ít will be a German version... ? Any serious Linux user speaking German is subscribed to c't anyhow :-)
The language defaults can be set at boot time with cheat codes. "knoppix lang=us" on the german disk should boot up into English.Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1sek
I hope someone will put the bootdisk image online.
I reported that TORAM copied entire cd, not just KNOPPIX directory.
not nice for a DVD..I don't have 4.5GB RAM :)
there will be a new cheatcode.."fromdvd"
one of the major issues in moving to 2.6 is/was cloop. One of our comrades in action (toasty) found http://yui.mine.nu/linux/eberry.html seems someone already ported cloop to 2.6.x. Not sure if this was known before, but wanted to give you guys something to play around with ;-)
Anyway, have cloop (with the 2.6 changes) packaged and up on http://am.xs4all.nl/morphix/debs/2.6 for all interested. Do note that I don't even know if they work, and that the packages don't come from Klaus, so don't bother him about them. Klaus will probably have ported cloop himself by now, so they might become redundant soon. YMWV. You're on your own :-) (i'll bug good ol' Kano about this too, he's darn quick when it comes to extra kernel changes). I personally won't overhaul Morphix to 2.6 soon, rather take this step carefully :-D
and about Nvidia, I don't think Klaus wants them in Knoppix, but I havn't discussed this with him personally. I have asked Nvidia, and compression wasn't a form of modification. They're only frightend about reverse-engineering et al. But, the license isn't too clear, so I can understand why he wouldn't want them included. Legal issues suck ;-)
Cheers, and happy hacking!
In the kernel source I've gotten from http://kernel.org for both 2.4.25 and 2.6, the XFS support is already there (without applying any patch). I'm not sure when this changed but it is nice being able to build this into the kernel since I use XFS now exclusively. The 2.6 changelogs show coders at SGI (and Intel, IBM, HP, etc.) are major contributors to kernel development.Quote:
Originally Posted by c123
The inevitable question - has anyone played around with this live CD? The author has helpfully put up a page listing the diffenrence between his live CD and Knoppix. Basically Berry is based on Red Hat (Fedora?) while Knoppix is of course based on Debian. The really interesting thing is IMO the new kernel :))Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextreme
Just tried Berry v0.36 and it wouldn't boot on a dual overclocked celeron( BP6 ) running at 500MHz. It booted to a VERY limited shell with the previous error message saying it couldn't mount/find the CDROM.
oh well. Next....
I'm just writing this with the Knoppix 3.4 c't edition (subscribers get the c't today). It booted with no problems on my Dell PC.
uname -a
Linux Knoppix 2.6.1 #1 SMP Thu Jan 15 15:10:43 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
The KDE version it uses is 3.1.4 by the way.
Please mail me the a .torrent using the tracker on http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969/announce and I will make it available from http://www.boegenielsen.dk:6969/ and http://www.boegenielsen.dk/knoppix
hey, wanna set up a ftp-server? :wink:Quote:
Originally Posted by flubba
I can't wait till monday, I will go get the latest issue of the c't-magazine first thing in the morning! BTW, according to http://heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/knoppix/ (in german) knoppix 3.4 c't-edition also includes gnome 2.4, captive and a "live-installer" (sounds like klik:// to me)..
AFAIK, the gentoo folks also have something in the works for cloop on linux 2.6. http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero/gcloop/ is what I (well, google actually;-) found so far.Quote:
Originally Posted by Alextreme
Flubba, you lucky dog you. :) So, have you noticed anything different? Because of the I/O bound loading of apps/etc, performance boosts will probably only be seen in things loaded and not swapping out. Some of the current tests of 2.4 vs 2.6 show some darn good improvements on performance though the pre-emptive stuff should "feel" different too.Quote:
Originally Posted by flubba
When somebody gonna post the ISO somewhere? ;-)
I'm thinking of waiting for Knoppix 3.5 due to the huge Linux kernel changelogs like http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v...eLog-2.6.3-rc1
If Knoppix 3.4 has the 2.6.1 kernel, I'll wait for a more stable kernel with a shorter changelog, before I install it to harddisk.
Anyway, I can't wait to boot Knoppix 3.4 from CD :)
Hey guys, since nobody objected when some asked for the iso, i am going to seed it (bittorrent), please remove Post if it is not wanted here. I am using an open tracker I found today, so be patient :)
Warning - I did not find any Statements that this Data should not be posted to Internet, but please check for yourself. I checked the files that i ripped off the CD with the md5sums on the disk, so it should work fine.
Torrent
You have no worries about re-distribution Knoppix is GPL software however I get a bad data from tracker error and the file size is 685.9 mb which seems a little low since Klaus usually takes it up to almost the limit on the disk.Quote:
Originally Posted by strushb
Not working here either:
ERROR:
bad data from tracker -
saving: Knoppix-3.4-2004-01-22-de-bySTrushB.iso (685.9 MB)
percent done: 0
time left: Download Failed!
download to: /usr/iso/Knoppix-3.4-2004-01-22-de-bySTrushB.iso
I'm able to use it using Shad0w's bittorrent client, but not with the official client. (I don't understand how a torrent can be made that doesn't work with the official client, but there it is.) Unfortunately, there are very few participants in this torrent.
Anyway, download Shad0w's bittorrent client and try again.
K<bob>
Knoppix 3.4 seems to run great. I hevan't tested it so much yet I just tried to install it on HD but that doesn't seem to work for me. It doesn't work for some guys on heise.de/ct, too so I think that I will have to wait until the final 3.4 comes out.
I'm not sure how to publish the knoppix cd bittorrent wouldnÄt work because of the NAT I think.
If any body has an ftp available I would upload it. It seems to be available in edonkey/emule, too but only 2 people or so have it.
If anyone already has 3.4 running, I would be very interested whether it works with klik - let's say for the RealPlayer package.
If you want to try out knoppix 3.4 I would suggest to join #knoppix on irc.freenode.net there is a bittorrent (that works with the normal client) with 4 seeds and no downloaders.
Just burned the iso. uname -a returned
Linux Knoppix 2.4.23-xfs #1 SMP Mi Dez 10 22:25:03 CET 2003 i686 GNU/Linux
I thought it had 2.6? Is there an option that has to be passed on boot to use it instead of the 2.4 kernel?
knoppix26 at the boot: prompt and if you need English then you may want to add lang=us you get the = by using SHIFT and 0 (zero) at the same time the keyboard layout is German as well and I needed to use the wheelmouse cheat code to get the scrollwheel working with the 2.6 kernel.Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe999
knoppix26 didn't boot on my system. Looks like a problem finding the CDROM off of the Adaptec SCSI card. Last error was saying that it was looking at /dev/hde for the CDROM when infact, /dev/hde is an IDE HD( have 2 IDE HD's with one being an HPT366 ).
knoppix24( the 2.4.x kernel ) booted fine. As mentioned in the other thread, KDE seemed a bit more responsive but that's all I really noticed with very littel other testing.
torrent site has been takes down. Anyone have a link to download the torrent from?