Knoppix NTFS Write is/is not available ?!?
Here is yet another Linux Newbie trying to get around a problem M$ created with open source tools. The problem is in creating a bootable OS which allows for modification of M$ NTFS partitions. I've been reading KNOPPIX FAQ's, posts, notes for two dayz now and believe it will allow me to boot from a CD and either modifiy text files on an NTFS partition or copy/add files to that partition. However the official FAQ's for Knoppix say either that writting to NTFS is not supported or that it is 'experimental'.
Googling provided other opinions which were not limited to the Knoppix distribution.
I AM a semi-virgin with respect to Linux: can barely wade into chest deep water at this point. And am hoping to give myself a crash course on Linux with this project ( yes, I know: Windows crashes, not Linux :P ) I have found info on this at
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/...ize.html#write
and
http://www.jankratochvil.net/project...html.pl#debian
amongst others, but am becoming a little overwhelmed trying to keep track of which programs work with which versions of which distro, etc. Especially in that I still have to translate simple functinality terms in Knoppix/Linux into their Windows counterparts.
For some reason I get the impression one CAN write to NTFS using the latest Knoppix stable release either with an ad-in or not... I'd like to be able to create a new master of Knoppix which would allow me to provide triage to damaged W2K and XP systems, but have not been able to find anything like that here on the forum. Has Knoppix progressed this far, or is this ability still considered ' bleeding edge ' ?
Many Thanks for all of your advice
Paul
adding captive NTFS read/write to your knoppix
I got it working like this:
1. find and print out one of the many guides on remastering knoppix out there (I used www.linuxgazette.com/issue87/sunil.html which is pretty old but does the job for me)
2. once you have a KNOPPIX folder and a swap partition on your HD, and have chroot'ed into it, download the .deb packages found on here: http://www.jankratochvil.net/project...html.pl#debian
3. remove old ntfs tools: apt-get remove libntfs5 ntfstools ntfsprogs and answer yes to any questions
4. install the downloaded captive files: dpkg -i *.deb (from the folder you put them in)
5. I couldn't find a valid kernel source for Knoppix, but it must be because I am lazy... I installed kernel-source-2.4.24 (the vanilla version)
6. edit the Makefile in /usr/src/linux, change EXTRAVERSION = to EXTRAVERSION = -xfs
NOTE: if you really want to compile the kernel or something DO NOT DO THIS, this is only for the module installation
7. make sure the needed windows files are available (ntoskrnl.exe ntfs.sys and (optional) fastfat.sys, grab them from a windows box
8. run captive-install-acquire (you will get some complaints about non-existent /etc/fstab and the program will crash at the end but by then you will already have the drivers)
9. run /usr/share/lufs/prepmod to automatically compile the driver, or mount any NTFS partition to start the building: mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hdX /mnt/hdX
(OPTIONAL)
10. need to modify the /usr/sbin/rebuildfstab:
Code:
case "$fstype" in
ntfs) options="${options},ro,umask=000" ;;
vfat|msdos) options="${options},umask=000" ;;
swap) options="defaults" ;;
esac
case "$fstype" in
ntfs|vfat|msdos)
[ -n "$user" ] && options="$options,uid=$user"
[ -n "$group" ] && options="$options,gid=$group"
;;
should become something like
Code:
case "$fstype" in
ntfs) options=" " ;;
vfat|msdos) options="${options},umask=000" ;;
swap) options="defaults" ;;
esac
case "$fstype" in
vfat|msdos)
[ -n "$user" ] && options="$options,uid=$user"
[ -n "$group" ] && options="$options,gid=$group"
;;
case "$fstype" in
ntfs) fstype="captive-ntfs" ;;
esac
NOTE: this is a really ugly hack and will only allow root to mount NTFS partitions read/write... I still need to figure out what mount options this captive thing will support... if anyone knows how to allow mounting as user knoppix you'd make me a happy man :)
(CLEANUP) clean out the kernel sources and the downloaded .deb files
done... granted it's not for the total newbie but then again you are working from a CD (read-only environment) so you can always start over...I know I did ;)